Menu

Milk Yogurt, and Double Boilers.

Does anyone have a double boiler that they LOVE?!?!?

I am trying to make yogurt. I have an inexpensive double boiler. I'm not sure if it's working well. It sputters and gurgles and spits out water & steam from where the 2 pots meet. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I also use this to melt chocolate, and dd6 is NOT happy about the sputtering.

In addition, the milk leaves a scum in the pan. It doesn't taste burnt, and it never goes above 200 degrees, but this scum is really hard clean. Any thoughts or suggestions?

This is probably overkill for your needs, but I use a turkey fryer.

http://www.grillsdirect.com/turkey-fryers/turkey-fryers/masterbuiltturknsurfdeluxeturkeyfryer.cfm?source=gbase&gbid=Masterbuilt_Turk_N_Surf_Deluxe_Turkey_Fryer

It has digital temperature settings. I fill it with hot water, then put my milk in the SS bowl from my Kitchen Aide mixer.

When I'm finished, I put the bowl in the dishwasher.

I just heated the milk slowly in a pan...no double boiler.

I don't use my double boiler much...but I'm wondering if you're putting too much water into the pan. Maybe use less and see if it helps?

As an alternative to the double boiler, I've seen someone on a cooking show use a heat-safe glass bowl over a pan of water to melt chocolate.