Menu

Who is using\has used The Rainbow for middle school science?

What can you tell me about it - good or bad?

Specifically, I'd like to know how independent it can be for a 7th grader, is the kit complete, is the text engaging, what is the slant regarding OE\YE - Creation\Evolution. Also, what would be the chances that a science minded 4th grader could tag along with this?

Thanks!

I tried to use Rainbow Science with each of my sons....but none of them took to it. Although the author is a Christian, he does not promote a YE or OE perspective; he simply presents the scientific facts "as is." The tone of the text is friendly and approachable, but I found that whereas some lessons were far too simple and easy, some were not explained well enough for a student being presented with a concept for the first time to grasp it (eg, chemical formulae). I did buy the lab kits and had to force my guys to do at least some of the experiments --you'd think they'd like to do the hands-on work, but, alas, no (that's just my kids though--YMMV). Somehow this program just did not click with us and my sons did not retain whatever it was they were reading--just not in-depth enough, I suppose, but that's the nature of a middle-school general science program. I'm sure others have liked the program, though. (And I have the yr 2 lab set available, unused....)

My 7th grader is using it this year. He really likes it a lot. The lessons are short, but there is a lot of info packed into them. The lab kit is fabulous. We have done every single one. I love that everything is there, ready to use. The experiments are fun and everything always "turns out" which is a plus!

DS12 is very "sciency" and this has been a great intro into higher level science for him. When he takes chemistry and physics in high school, there are certain concepts that he will remember and he'll have a base on which to build.

One thing I wish I had done is to plan on it as a one year course instead of two. He is almost done with year 1 and it's only the end of March! He will read the second half of the book and do the questions, but I'm unable to get the lab kit for year 2 at this point (because of cost and it being so late in the school year).

There have been a couple times that the teacher book did not explain concepts well and I had to find the answers by Googling. I wish the answer book was a little more in depth. But that's really the only negative I can think of.

I definitely vote for "good." :)

It would be completely independent for a 7th grader, other than a brief discussion once a week or so (there are notes for the parent, along with answers to the questions). It would probably take a 7th grader 20 minutes on each of the lesson days, and 20-40 on a lab day each week. On the 4th day, I have my DS look up one of the topics from that week (his choice) in the Usborne I-L Science Encyclopedia, go to the online links, then write a narration to add to his notebook along with the written answers to the questions in the book.

I wouldn't call the text engaging. The reading sections are short and to the point (2-5 pages), with a little bit of goofy added in.

The kit is COMPLETE (and this single fact is what sold me on the program), all you add is a gallon of distilled water at the beginning of the school year. It even includes a Sharpie for labeling things, an ice cube tray for labs that require ice, and a ruler. There is a "map" included that tells you where in the kit to find the item you need for each lab.

A science minded 4th grader could definitely tag along!

Other things I like about it: It does not require a lot of writing, there is a lab every single week that my DS can do 100% on his own, and it is not hard to adapt for our secular family. Meaning -- when it says "God created humans to be inquisitive," my son realizes that is how the author views it, and that the information and scientific principles are the same whether credit is given to God or evolution.

My 7th grader is using it this year. He really likes it a lot. The lessons are short, but there is a lot of info packed into them. The lab kit is fabulous. We have done every single one. I love that everything is there, ready to use. The experiments are fun and everything always "turns out" which is a plus!

DS12 is very "sciency" and this has been a great intro into higher level science for him. When he takes chemistry and physics in high school, there are certain concepts that he will remember and he'll have a base on which to build.

One thing I wish I had done is to plan on it as a one year course instead of two. He is almost done with year 1 and it's only the end of March! He will read the second half of the book and do the questions, but I'm unable to get the lab kit for year 2 at this point (because of cost and it being so late in the school year).

There have been a couple times that the teacher book did not explain concepts well and I had to find the answers by Googling. I wish the answer book was a little more in depth. But that's really the only negative I can think of.

Did you see that RobinL who posted right before my previous post has the Lab Kit for Year 2 "unused and available?" Maybe you can work out a deal with her. (Sorry to butt in, I just couldn't help but notice that!)

We're planning to do the Raiinbow over one year.

I found that whereas some lessons were far too simple and easy, some were not explained well enough for a student being presented with a concept for the first time to grasp it (eg, chemical formulae).
Thanks for noting this. If we decide to purchase I will be able to watch for this instead of just assuming she is getting it. This dd likes to blow off truly "getting it" sometimes, in favor of just getting to the next project\experiment.

I love that everything is there, ready to use. The experiments are fun and everything always "turns out" which is a plus!Very refreshing to hear! Nothing puts a damper on things quicker than an "I don't know why it didn't work right".

One thing I wish I had done is to plan on it as a one year course instead of two. He is almost done with year 1 and it's only the end of March! The fact that both could be done in one year is actually good to hear as this dd will also be doing some of my 4th grader's year long biome study. I was concerned about it being too much.

I definitely vote for "good." :)

It would be completely independent for a 7th grader, other than a brief discussion once a week or so (there are notes for the parent, along with answers to the questions). It would probably take a 7th grader 20 minutes on each of the lesson days, and 20-40 on a lab day each week. On the 4th day, I have my DS look up one of the topics from that week (his choice) in the Usborne I-L Science Encyclopedia, go to the online links, then write a narration to add to his notebook along with the written answers to the questions in the book.Excellent suggestion - thank you!

I wouldn't call the text engaging. The reading sections are short and to the point (2-5 pages), with a little bit of goofy added in. Sounds perfect for this dd.

The kit is COMPLETE (and this single fact is what sold me on the program), all you add is a gallon of distilled water at the beginning of the school year. It even includes a Sharpie for labeling things, an ice cube tray for labs that require ice, and a ruler. There is a "map" included that tells you where in the kit to find the item you need for each lab.

A science minded 4th grader could definitely tag along!Yah! I wanted the 4th grader to have more science exposure and experiments, but I just can't squeeze anymore time out for her. I think the experiments will be more fun if they do them together, and the 7th grader can "teach" the concept to her little sister. Nice.:D

Other things I like about it: It does not require a lot of writing, there is a lab every single week that my DS can do 100% on his own, and it is not hard to adapt for our secular family. Meaning -- when it says "God created humans to be inquisitive," my son realizes that is how the author views it, and that the information and scientific principles are the same whether credit is given to God or evolution. We are Christian but I prefer my science secular so I'm glad to hear it isn't overbearing.

Thank you all for your input! Now to find the money.:D