Menu

Ideas for learning about Washington, D.C.?

4maybabies

Am interested too. We are planning on spending some time in Washington DC, but would like to know all the sights we need to makes sure we don't miss and then study about them ahead of time. Wouldn't it be fun to be able to go somewhere and say, "See, just like we studied." I think it will develop more connections between what we study and reality in other subjects, too. Like, "Mom really knows what she's talking about!"

We're planning on taking a small trip up to D.C. in May. I'm looking for something to get my kids familiar with the different monuments, buildings, etc...Maybe a unit study? Any ideas?

if you have little ones:

http://www.amazon.com/This-Washington-D-C-Miroslav-Sasek/dp/0789322323/ref=pd_sim_b_5

http://www.amazon.com/Cant-Take-Balloon-National-Gallery/dp/0142301310/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332786098&sr=1-1

Am interested too. We are planning on spending some time in Washington DC, but would like to know all the sights we need to makes sure we don't miss and then study about them ahead of time. Wouldn't it be fun to be able to go somewhere and say, "See, just like we studied." I think it will develop more connections between what we study and reality in other subjects, too. Like, "Mom really knows what she's talking about!"

I can't offer books to look at But I was in DC in October. I posted a couple of threads about it. There are other suggestions on it too.

I will say for that Oct thread we had already been to DC several times so we didn't see some of bigger usual things to see, but saw some things we hadn't been to before.

Yes, this EXACTLY!

I think a case can be made for going and experiencing DC first, and THEN reading more about it. :001_smile: But...

Surely books about some of the famous folks would help, tho--something about Lincoln, Jefferson, and Roosevelt and George Washington (highly recommend you try going to Mt. Vernon while you are in DC) would be easy to find, and help with those monuments. I know there's a kids' book about the designing of the Vietnam Memorial, but I don't remember who wrote it.

Edited by Chris in VA