Menu

Winter Promise Adventures in the Sea and Sky..

Busy_Bee

My 9 year old daughter is using their Equine Science along with Beautiful Feet History of the Horse and loving it.. It got me looking at their other programs and I'm really liking the looks of this.. :drool5: I would also use it with my rising 6th grade son. He loves science and I think he would like it too. We're currently doing Story of the World Modern Times with a lot of the books from Sonlight Core E. I have no idea which direction to go for history and this looks pretty fun!

Anyone use it? Love it or Hate it? :bigear:

Well from what I have been researching, its pretty much 50/50 here on the boards for that.

50% saying it didn't live up to its hype, the IGs were higgledy-piggledy etc

and

50% saying they loved it and their child says it was the best year of their homeschooling

So :lol: Good luck LOL.

I love the look of Winterpromise myself. I suppose if you are one to pull it apart and start again, you'll definitely love it. If you use it as is, its a 50/50. If you are one to supplement, you'll probably love it as a spine.

A lot of people don't seem to like the LA though.

I know its not exactly what your after, but hopefully thats helped some :)

LOL! We'll I'm pretty sure I have undiagnosed ADD and I change all the guides into my own format :tongue_smilie: That's what we did with the Equine Science it's only suppose to be 2 days a week but we spread it out over 5 and added to it with Beautiful Feet History of the Horse.

I also got the Sonlight Core E IG and made my own schedule with the books and Story of the world.

So maybe we would like it! :lol:

Edited by Busy_Bee
typo

I researched it (meaning read all the threads I could find on it) not long ago. It did seem that those who loved it more had no problem tweaking. Enjoyed it even. The folks that were more displeased - appeared to be more box-checkers. You would probably love it ;)

I have lusted after this curriculum for some time, for my ds10. I think it is something he would really enjoy! Having said that, feedback on it seems half and half... but then I came across these really fantastic "extras" for it too!

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/extras/seaandskygravy.html

Some other threads...

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285639#post2857589

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361365&highlight=sea%2Bsky (second page of this one has a link to a thread on making S&S secular)

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236205&highlight=sea%2Bsky

We did it a couple of years ago. I was so excited to start and I'll tell you, the WP catalog still makes me drool, but it just wasn't what I was hoping for. When I pay that much, I don't want to tweak and I don't want to have to supplement. It was difficult to add in my younger kids. It wasn't meaty enough for my older one (he was in 5th grade at the time). The literature selections were not great, either.

I'm pretty sure we're going to use this! It's mostly the content of the material I'm looking at and people who don't think it said it was because it felt disjointed, but that doesn't really pertain to us because I'll make up our own schedule. :D