Menu

Transitioning from OPG to WRTR?

BoZeeCo's Mom

I plan to mainly just use WRTR for spelling

In that case, I would suggest continuing with OPG until you are done and your 5 yo can read well. Then, begin implementing the Spelling Lesson chapter in WRTR.

In the meantime:

1. Read WRTR once and re-read the Spelling Lesson chapter.

2. Search Spalding and WRTR on these forums and glean as much as you can.

3. Read these getting started notes for the Spalding method.

4. Make, print or buy the Spalding phonogram cards.

5. Learn how to say the phonograms.

6. Post back here if you have questions. :)

Does OPG teach the 70 phonograms covered in WRTR, with all the sounds? If not, then I would start with the phonogram lessons. I believe you begin spelling after the first 54 (or is it 45?) phonograms are mastered.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. After reading WRTR, researching, and listening to my son's commentary while we are OPGing, I am REALLY tempted to quit the OPG completely and start on WRTR for EVERYTHING it provides. Now that my son it a pretty confident reader, and we're immersed in the harder level lessons in OPG, I know that WRTR is where it's at for him. I'm tempted to just quit OPG (which I love, but I think I am IN love with WRTR - for my kids, anyway).

My questions: is there an ideal time to do this? Should I just start combining? WWYD?

Ok. After reading WRTR, researching, and listening to my son's commentary while we are OPGing, I am REALLY tempted to quit the OPG completely and start on WRTR for EVERYTHING it provides. Now that my son it a pretty confident reader, and we're immersed in the harder level lessons in OPG, I know that WRTR is where it's at for him. I'm tempted to just quit OPG (which I love, but I think I am IN love with WRTR - for my kids, anyway).

My questions: is there an ideal time to do this? Should I just start combining? WWYD?

Okay, in that case, I would stop OPG now and start Spalding from the beginning. I would not combine. I haven't seen OPG, I understand the Spalding method now, and for a confident readerm another phonics program is not necessary with Spalding spelling.