Menu

Switched On Schoolhouse? Or other video options? I'm finding mixed reviews...

Has anyone had experience with this, good or bad? I would like to use at least a few of the modules in the coming year with my two sons who will be in 3rd and 5th grades. I actually really like the curriculum we've used this year, it's just that actually doing it hasn't panned out very well. I feel very discouraged and that maybe the coming year is a good time for a less teacher-intensive approach.

My oldest did well this year using the DIVE CD with his Saxon Math, so he'll do that again, but my younger will still be in the elementary level 3 Saxon, so I'll be working with him.

We love Apologia Flying Creatures, but I get very frustrated during read aloud subjects bc they are true boys and horse around and don't appear to listen to a word. By the time I calm down, I have a huge challenge getting not just them, but myself back on track. So I would be open to trying a different science.

I love Diana Waring History, What in the World's Going On Here and True Tales and More True Tales. We listen to it as we go around town or while they quietly play with their legos. She has such incredible enthusiasm. I'd love to stick with her CDs and use the elementary books.

I've been reading so much here about IEW that I would really love to try it. I think it would give me a simple list approach to writing and an appreciation for the way boys write. However, it is pretty hands-on for the teacher, and I would rather the boys get language done than for me to have my first choice. Also, if I use IEW, I would have to find something for grammar (I was thinking maybe Shurley, but am not sure how much time/involvement it requires from me). What do you think? My oldest has used BJU Reading and English for two years (their English covers writing and grammar). My youngest finished OPGTR and FLL this year. I was going to just use the BJU books for 3rd and 5th grade, but am wondering if there is a video language arts program anyone would recommend?

I know my situation is not unique, and so many of you here seem to juggle quite a few more children and responsibilities very gracefully, but I just end up feeling like I'm doing a terrible job at everything. I'm miserable most of the time and I feel like I just ruin the home environment. My husband is very supportive, and assures me that no matter how awful I think I've done, they are still getting much more learning accomplished than they would in public schools. My daughter will be 2 in August, and I know she'll get easier and easier to manage as she gets older, but she is such a distraction to all of us when we school, and she doesn't get the attention she should either. I am just down in the dumps about everything right now and can't see it getting any better in the next month or so before we start again.

Suggestions gratefully accepted and advice sought from the wisdom of your experience. Btw, I've been homeschooling for 4 years, since my oldest was in first grade. Putting them back in ps is not really an option, but I'm willing to admit I can't do it all, and am open to other suggestions. Thanks!

You will find mixed reviews about *anything* if you look long enough!

I just want to reassure you that even though many people here on *this* board may (how to say this nicely???) look down their noses at a curriculum like SOS (or BJU or Abeka or whatever), that doesn't mean it is the worst thing in the world you could ever do.

It is obviously working for enough people to keep those companies in business! And, although I've never used SOS, I happened to meet several ladies who used SOS through high school, and their kids are in college and doing fine.

(OK - maybe not Ivy League, but here in Georgia, Ivy League isn't usually the goal - LOL!)

One of the presenters of a "How to Home School High School" conference I attended gave us her dd's transcript - it was practically ALL A/O Life-Pacs (This was before SOS). She *highly* recommended using SOS as a spine of sorts - and really liked using United Streaming to spice up the lessons.

I'm sorry I'm not too familiar with some of the things you've listed. So, no help there. But - please! - ditch the guilt, and use *whatever* you need to get your basics covered with the least amount of effort. Then, maybe you'll have some energy left over to do the things that you and your boys really LOVE doing! (and dd, too!)

Best wishes!~

Rhondabee

We began using SOS last year for my two oldest. They absolutely LOVE it and it has just about saved our homeschool. It is a big help to me with all the grading and planning. I do a unit study so it gives me the time and energy to do that better and to work with my younger one. We used it for Math and LA. I also broke down and got MUS for supplement and to make sure we were covering the bases in Math. It is not supposed to be great for Math - BUT it has made my son love Math. You can't believe what a HUGE change this is--from tears to loving! He loves the computer and it really ended the battles that we had over making corrections.

I am putting my middle son in CLE for this next year, cuz I think he wasn't quite ready in 3rd to do SOS. He did fine, but I want him to work on paper again and then I can help him more.

There is a Yahoo group that you can join to ask more questions!

My dd did SOS for 6th and 7th grade. Here are my thoughts:

Bible-Only allows the student to use KJV or NAS-This was very hard because she had been using NLT and NIV all her life and had a hard time "translating" the old style languages in her brain to understand what the "meaning" of the passages were. I don't mind this in literature, but I want the Bible understood easily. If you use KJV it won't be a problem

LA-She was only assigned 1 real book in 2 years (the Hiding Place) in 7th grade. The grammar was confusing to me (Winston Grammar was better for her).

Math-Way to easy. Should have gone up a grade.

Science-OK-You have to buy a science kit to go with SOS. Homeschool Science is paired up with SOS and offers kits for each grade. This is probably the best subject out of the SOS series.

History- OK -Daughter didn't say much about it.

The Bible and LA were the two subjects I wouldn't recommend. LA isn't much on writing either.

My dd begged to do SL in 8th grade. She loves to read and did the whole core 7, this past year, independently (including read alouds).

But, I hated SL LA for core 7. It was all writing and my dd needed more instruction than SL gave for that core.

No suggestions but empathy. I have 4dc with my 2 ds in the middle. They are 6 & 7, almost 7 & 8:o) They are "true" boys too. I struggle with Reading Aloud as well. They like to fiddle, jump around, make noises etc. I have found that reading at bedtime is the best option b/c they are worn out from the day and seem to listen much better. Of course, the fact that they can stay up later is a perk too:o)

I'm sure you will get some fabulous responses!

<hugs>

Barb