Menu

Sonlight question

Lara in Colo

My HS enrichment program is picking up the expense of Sonlight, however, they are doing it sort of broken up.

They are offering the history portion without the read alouds or the readers. I have looked for some of the books at the library and cannot find them.

Does it take away from the experience A LOT to not have the books? Does the IG use the extra books in the teaching?

Lara

Funny thing, they include them with the youngers, but not the olders.

It really is sort of whacked.

They offer the full package for grades 1-5, (all subjects)

I can also break up the subjects.

But language arts includes the readers (not the read alouds)

History includes just the history section, not the RA or the Readers.

I have a call into Sonlight to see if I can get the powers that be to talk to the other powers that be at the school district.

It is clear that they are new to this (ordering)

They have followed many of my suggestions (WWE, WWS, MCT)

but the packages are sort of weird.

Honestly, especially in the upper cores, D and above, you would be missing the whole point of Sonlight with just the history sections. Readers and read alouds intertwine with history nonfiction to enhance learning and engagement of history.

This year, SL has even made the lower cores have more read aloud selections that intertwine with the history selections. You would be missing soooooooo much without the read alouds and readers! Historical fiction is the essence of SL. :001_smile:

Regarding the last question, does the IG incorporate the read alouds and readers, yes, definitely. There are notes for each book, questions for discussion, vocabulary words, mapping activities, timeline activities.

Edited by 3peasinapod

Because the schedule for all of it is in the core {the most expensive part} and your enrichment programme is covering that, could you swing the books they won't?

You don't have to order the books directly from SL, you could get them elsewhere and save a bit of money. :)

I talked to Sonlight (they were really helpful) --I had to talk to several people to get to the right person--

The guy who is dealing with the school district will call them this week and try to get the scoop.

It could be as simple as an oversight or as complicated as a "Bible" issue.

We will see...

I am hoping for the core to be a full HISTORY option, then I can order MCT as a LA option (that would just about cover my whole year).

I think the school is on spring break next week, so I may have to wait 2 weeks to hear back.

Thank you for your help today ladies!!

Lara