Menu

How do I find historical fiction books for free or cheap?

lillehei

My dd 11 LOVES to read and is voraciously going through historical fiction. We have just started SOTW and she read her first historical fiction that I had scheduled for 2-3 weeks in one day. I have looked online, at the library, and other free sources and none of the titles that I want come up.

Where do y'all get your books? So far I have bought them on Amazon. We have Prime (but not a Kindle) plus we get the 4 for 3 promotion. But it still is at least $20 for 4 books.

Does the Kindle Lending Library have a lot of the titles of historical fiction out there on SOTW sites on it?

Any help would great!

Thanks, Jen

Library

We're allowed 30 books per card, though for my own sanity I limit the kids to 10 each. Mine is usually maxed out.

Besides that, library sales, thrift stores, used on Amazon, eBay, paperback swap... all places I have found reasonably priced historical lit. Oh, and there are LOADS of free classic books for Kindle! Do you have the free Kindle computer app?

Library

We're allowed 30 books per card, though for my own sanity I limit the kids to 10 each. Mine is usually maxed out.

Besides that, library sales, thrift stores, used on Amazon, eBay, paperback swap... all places I have found reasonably priced historical lit. Oh, and there are LOADS of free classic books for Kindle! Do you have the free Kindle computer app?

You must have a big, good library. I haven't found any of the books I want so far at any of the libraries in my area.

I do have the kindle app and have read a lot of classics on it for me, but not youth or kids historical fiction.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I haven't found any of the books I want so far at any of the libraries in my area.

I hear ya on this! I started looking for some books that I wanted to incorporate into whatever history curriculum I decide on, and our library had none of the ones I looked up. Not just that they were checked out, they didn't even carry them. Frustrating to say the least.........

I've been dying to share this and haven't had a chance all day yesterday or today. I was ready to send in my Amazon order yesterday morning for 8 books (historical fiction and some historical non-fiction) and the total was $113. There were still several on my wishlist that I really wanted, but couldn't justify spending that much. And I was getting free shipping from Amazon and some 4 for 3's.

My husband asked if I'd looked at Abebooks.com. I'd totally forgotten about it. I was able to buy all the books I wanted that were historical fiction and non-fiction (14 books) for $117, including shipping. This place has a whole bunch of sellers list their offerings. Many of them do it for free shipping, but most books I bought for 3 or 4 dollars. There were some out of print books on there that I've been looking for years for. It was awesome. The most I spent on a book on ABe was $14 for a book that was $49 on Amazon. So I've been dying to share this with you all.

It's all in one shopping cart and you only are charged on the credit card or paypal once. Abebooks distributes the payments to the individual sellers. So it's easy on me, I'll just have to check the orders that come from each individual seller, but that's nothing compared to the savings. I even joked that I'd saved so much on school this year, that my husband could afford to give me a Kindle! I think he's considering it!

Now I did search for homeschool curricula on Abe and it wasn't as cheap. I ended buying those either on Amazon, CBD or Rainbow, because they were cheaper there. But the literature and historical books were much cheaper on Abe. Just thought I'd share!