Menu

Raw food drop out...

I love fruits and veggies, so I thought moving toward eating more raw would be easy. But... I was hungry all. the. time. So I was eating all. the. time. And gaining weight.

I am short and fairly thin, although a good 15 lbs heavier than pre-kids. So my maintenance calorie allowance is only 1200 calories. Nuts, cheese, and peanut butter (TJ's with no sugar, etc.) have so many calories that even eating small portions makes me exceed my calorie allowance. I can eat a few oz of cooked meat, feel full, and get fewer calories. I've already lost a couple of pounds since giving up on raw. I am still eating lots of fruit and veggies, but I'm not trying to avoid meats and cooked foods any more.

I just know that I could not go raw all the way, no matter how much I am told it does wonders.

I am ADD and NEED protein. I do not seem to be able to get enough with nuts and beans. Also, if I am hungry, I am guaranteed to have a headache and no energy. On the other hand, too much meat, fast carbs, and sweets make me sluggish and crabby. I guess we just need to find that balance.

Maybe my Grandma was right when she said, "Just eat a balanced diet and everything in moderation."

What other foods did you eat besides fruits, veggies, cheese, nuts and peanut butter? I know before I knew anything about raw diets I thought all you could eat was fruits and veggies, but after discovering the amazing creations raw foodists have come up with, I'd definitely go raw if someone showed me how! :) I've gone to many restaurants and ordered raw dishes and ended up having to take most of it home because it filled me up so much.

So I'm curious if you ate just plain foods or actual meals. :)

I am a raw foodist and my two thoughts are: most likely your diet wasn't balanced enough. It's important to get a variety of foods daily. When I don't, I am lethargic. I wonder what you were eating that was making you gain weight, though? Nuts(unless they're raw), cheese and PB aren't raw, so yes, I can see gaining weight on that. But, truly eating a raw diet wouldn't have a person gaining weight...usually.

The other thought is that it *is* important to listen to your body. If you feel like you function better with some meat, or dairy products, then eat it. I do think a 90% raw diet though is for everybody. What you do with that 10% is up to you.

Best wishes on this journey!

I mostly ate fruits and vegetables and smoothies, adding nuts (raw - no additives and not roasted), cheeses, and eggs for protein. I have several raw food cookbooks from the library, but I haven't had time to try a lot of new things yet. However, most of the recipes don't appeal to me at all. Many of them are high in calories in spite of being raw. Also, there seem to be a lot of grains involved in some of the raw cookbooks, and I don't feel well when I eat many grains. I think raw is just not for me. Not that I had fully transitioned to raw, but after this half-hearted attempt at it, I don't want to. :-)

I couldn't believe how many calories 2 tbsp of nuts have. If I ate enough of them to feel full, I was over my daily calorie needs.

Edited by LizzyBee

Have you looked at Matt Amsden's RAWvolution "cook"book? It, in my opinion, is the best raw "cook"book out there. There are pictures which are helpful and the recipes, while I raised my eyebrow at more than half of them at the beginning, are seriously delicious. He has a recipe for "tacos" made with raw walnuts, nama shoyu (raw, unfiltered soy sauce) and some other things and it seriously tastes and looks like taco meat. Putting it in a large lettuce (or turnip green) leaf as the shell and loading on tomatoes, onions and whatever else you want (avocado), is a very filling and satisfying meal that I eat happily.

Yes, nuts have calories, but calories aren't bad. It's the type of calories that matter. You also have to remember that when our bodies transition to more healthful ways, there is a definite transition. I remember when I did the Eat to Live diet years ago, I was *so* frustrated. At the beginning I gained weight and cried about it. Everyone kept telling me to keep on keepin' on and I would. Everyday I would look at the scale and say "so help me, if tomorrow shows another pound gained, I'm done!" And the next day I would be at the same weight, or I would be down one pound. Frustratingly slow. And I felt HORRIBLE. Holy cow, did I feel bad all over! But after about 9 days, the clouds cleared and I felt amazing and the weight started to come off.

But again, our bodies are different and people respond differently. Don't give up on eating mainly raw foods, though! Eat the meat too, if you need, but don't stop eating raw. And check out Matt's book if you can. The breakfast smoothie in there fills me up ALL DAY. I kid you not. By dinner time I'm *maybe* ready to eat again.

(((hugs!)))

Have you looked at Matt Amsden's RAWvolution "cook"book? It, in my opinion, is the best raw "cook"book out there. There are pictures which are helpful and the recipes, while I raised my eyebrow at more than half of them at the beginning, are seriously delicious. He has a recipe for "tacos" made with raw walnuts, nama shoyu (raw, unfiltered soy sauce) and some other things and it seriously tastes and looks like taco meat. Putting it in a large lettuce (or turnip green) leaf as the shell and loading on tomatoes, onions and whatever else you want (avocado), is a very filling and satisfying meal that I eat happily.

Yes, nuts have calories, but calories aren't bad. It's the type of calories that matter. You also have to remember that when our bodies transition to more healthful ways, there is a definite transition. I remember when I did the Eat to Live diet years ago, I was *so* frustrated. At the beginning I gained weight and cried about it. Everyone kept telling me to keep on keepin' on and I would. Everyday I would look at the scale and say "so help me, if tomorrow shows another pound gained, I'm done!" And the next day I would be at the same weight, or I would be down one pound. Frustratingly slow. And I felt HORRIBLE. Holy cow, did I feel bad all over! But after about 9 days, the clouds cleared and I felt amazing and the weight started to come off.

But again, our bodies are different and people respond differently. Don't give up on eating mainly raw foods, though! Eat the meat too, if you need, but don't stop eating raw. And check out Matt's book if you can. The breakfast smoothie in there fills me up ALL DAY. I kid you not. By dinner time I'm *maybe* ready to eat again.

(((hugs!)))

I'm going to check this book out! I've always wanted to incorporate more raw foods into my diet after having some AMAZING raw dishes in a few different restaurants. I couldn't believe how good everything was!!! I even took a little raw "cooking" class and was just blown away by the food. Seriously. Raw done right is out of this world! :D

I'm going to check this book out! I've always wanted to incorporate more raw foods into my diet after having some AMAZING raw dishes in a few different restaurants. I couldn't believe how good everything was!!! I even took a little raw "cooking" class and was just blown away by the food. Seriously. Raw done right is out of this world! :D

:hurray:

(((hugs!)))

I haven't seen that cookbook. The one I have that I found most interesting and appealing is by Ani. Interestingly, she wrote that in certain climates, she can't do 100% raw either. I love fruits and veggies, and I like the idea that they should take up the most space on my plate. Sometimes I like nuts and seeds for a snack. But I like meat, too, and it only takes a couple oz. of it to make me feel full and satisfied. Protein from meat and eggs seems to clear my head better than protein from nuts, and that's a big deal for me because I'm taking medicine that gives me chemo brain.

I actually like lettuce in place of taco shells, and the recipe you described sounds like something I'd enjoy as a break from the redundancy of regular tacos. But I can't see changing my way of life to that sort of thing, kwim? I like regular taco meat, and as long as I'm not eating an excessive amount of red meat and I'm balancing it with plenty of colorful foods, I don't believe it's bad for me.

ETA: I gotta tell you, even without being a raw foodie, my (extended) family thinks I'm pretty adventurous where food is concerned. Why, you ask? One for one thing, I don't buy iceberg lettuce. I buy spinach, romaine, red leaf, green leaf, Boston bibb... :-)

Edited by LizzyBee

Maybe a raw cooking class would get me over the hump of trying to figure out things that are very different than I'm used to. Even if I never become a raw foodie, I like trying new things. I'll have to google and see if I can find anything like that in our area.

I just started a book called The Complete Idiot's Guide to Plant Based Nutrition by Julieanna Hever. I'm finding I need to totally re-educate myself on how/what to eat. The book focuses more on what to eat instead of what not to eat. I'm only a few chapters in but it is good so far.

We aren't going totally vegan or raw but after watching Forks over Knives and Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead we are attempting to keep dairy & animal products to less than 5% of our diet. I am finding it very challenging so far but I figure I'm had 36 years to get used to the other way we were eating so there is going to be an adjustment period.

Janna and other vegan/raw foodies,

What other cookbooks or websites do you recommend? I am vegan and slowly incorporating more raw into my diet. I would like to try 1 new recipie a week. I will see if I can get Rawvolution at the library.

Thanks.

The only other one that *I* have found to be helpful, but not so much as Matt's, is Going Raw: Everything You Need to Start Your Own Raw Food Diet and Lifestyle Revolution at Home By Judita Wignall

I have not checked out every book though. For instance, LizzyBee likes Ani's book. I haven't yet looked at that one.

There are a lot of online resources for raw, but not as good as what are in the books at the library, in my opinion. For food, if I can't find things at Whole Foods, I have ordered from Sunfood and The Raw Food World with success. Both places had fast shipping and great service.

Thanks for those book recommendations. I'll see also if they have them or are available through our library. I'd like to get more into the whole raw food thing. I think it could be very beneficial. I've checked out some recipes online and I signed up for a couple of newsletters about it, but it seems to me that most of the recipes are for deserts. :confused: I didn't know you can eat eggs on a raw food diet...

Thanks for those book recommendations. I'll see also if they have them or are available through our library. I'd like to get more into the whole raw food thing. I think it could be very beneficial. I've checked out some recipes online and I signed up for a couple of newsletters about it, but it seems to me that most of the recipes are for deserts. :confused: I didn't know you can eat eggs on a raw food diet...

I don't think they are "allowed." I ate them because I wasn't getting enough protein and needed to add some.

So, I've spent a couple hours today with Ani's Raw Food Essentials to see what I was doing wrong. I don't think I was doing it wrong, but I do have some questions.

In this book, it seems that nuts and seeds are the only sources of proteins. I can't rely on just nuts and seeds for protein. If I get beyond "basic" raw, are there other raw sources of protein, and what are they?

Ani says that kefir water is a good substitute for soda. Is it really as good as she says? Is it good enough that I could convert my family? I drink mostly water, but sometimes I get tired of it and want something different. My dh buys sodas for him and the kids. The kids will drink more water than him, but I haven't been able to convert him to mostly water. Still working on it. :001_smile:

Has anyone made raw flatbreads, and if so, do you like them? How is the texture compared to regular bread? I have a feeling I'll have a texture issue with them, but would love other perspectives. One thing I found when I was eating all day long because I couldn't get full/satisfied on raw is a whole grain sourdough bread from TJ's that is very filling. It's not raw, but at least I only needed to eat one slice to get full, unlike white bread. I'm not sure whether to stick with that or try the raw flatbreads. I hate to spend a lot of money to buy and make stuff that no-one will eat.

I tend to not like imitation fill-in-the-blank. How do I introduce more variety with raw foods without trying to make them seem like non-raw foods?

A comment, not a question: I am surprised at how much sweetener Ani uses. Some sweeteners, although healthier than processed white sugar, still have a lot of calories in them. I have never added sweetener to my smoothies, so I was really surprised that all of her smoothie recipes use them. I know someone said that calories don't matter, but it matters when I see that scale going up and my clothes getting tighter!

In this book, it seems that nuts and seeds are the only sources of proteins. I can't rely on just nuts and seeds for protein. If I get beyond "basic" raw, are there other raw sources of protein, and what are they?

I'm not sure about the rules of a raw diet, but can you soak beans (like garbanzos) for extra long (like 2 days) and eat them without cooking them? They might be still a little crunchy, but digestible. You can add them to a green salad which also has protein.

I'm not sure about the rules of a raw diet, but can you soak beans (like garbanzos) for extra long (like 2 days) and eat them without cooking them? They might be still a little crunchy, but digestible. You can add them to a green salad which also has protein.

I googled and found that some beans can be soaked and eaten raw and others are poisonous if eaten raw. I'll try it, but I'm skeptical about whether I'll like raw beans enough to eat them that way regularly. At least beans are cheap, so if it's a fail, it's not a big deal. Thanks for the idea.

OK. Well, I'll put a hold on it. There are several copies that the library owns, so it shouldn't be too long before one is up for me.

In the meantime, may I ask why you want to go raw? A strong reason, with anything, is going to help you keep up with it. If it's something you just wanted to try, it's going to be easier to stop. But I want to reiterate, if you don't want to do everything raw, it's OK. I don't do everything raw every single day either. But 90% of my diet is. Some days, 100% of my diet is. It just depends on so many factors. Knowing that so much of the food I eat is raw makes it a lot easier on myself to have the very few things that aren't. Give yourself some grace. :)

OK. Well, I'll put a hold on it. There are several copies that the library owns, so it shouldn't be too long before one is up for me.

In the meantime, may I ask why you want to go raw? A strong reason, with anything, is going to help you keep up with it. If it's something you just wanted to try, it's going to be easier to stop. But I want to reiterate, if you don't want to do everything raw, it's OK. I don't do everything raw every single day either. But 90% of my diet is. Some days, 100% of my diet is. It just depends on so many factors. Knowing that so much of the food I eat is raw makes it a lot easier on myself to have the very few things that aren't. Give yourself some grace. :)

I'm not wanting to go 100% raw, but I feel so much better since I've cut way back on starches and sugar and reduced serving sizes of meats. I guess I'm still experimenting with how far to take it. Also, I get bored with smoothies and salads, so I'm trying to figure out how to add variety.