Menu

Need Curriculum Ideas for a Dyslexic High Schooler

If so, what curriculum have you used (say history, literature) that have been a great fit for a dyslexic's strengths and weaknesses? Trying to find some options for American history and American literature for next year but the thought of a textbook or waaaayyy too many books to read is not plausible, I think. I know audio books would be great but trying to figure out how to put it all together. Has anyone found a gem underneath all those options out there? Or, on the flip side - any programs to avoid?

You could use A History of Us as a spine and then scour your library for books on tape/cd in both the young adult and adult sections there for books to correspond to the chapters. I did/doing this for my dd12 because she hasn't been a strong reader up until very recently. You'll be surprised by the amount of books on cd that are available. Netflix/Amazon instant are great resources as well.

Also, though I have no experience with these products, Rainbow Resource has a series available that is high school level content but is for those students who are daunted by the heft of traditional textbooks - http://rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=14&category=3972

HTH

We are planning on using All American History vol 1 & 2 for American History (which we choose for its multi-sensory component) and Paces (for its short text and fill in the blank format) for World History.

For English Lit I am planning to Use Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings w/supplemental readings all done via Kindle's text to speech feature. There are only 3 books in the series, but we will add both Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and Beowulf. Videos of the Odyssey,Standard Deviants Rings, Kings, and Things, Excalibur, and Lord of the Rings will also be added.

We are still not sure about American Lit.

My DS is dyslexic (and very visual/spatial), and I'm also planning American history for next year. I'm using several Teaching Company courses as spines, aligned with over 100 hrs of documentaries, plus audiobooks and a bit of reading. I'm not tying it to American Literature, though, because he'll be doing an online Classical Lit course. In order to cover some of the standard American Lit, I'm thinking of putting together a half-credit course called American Literature through Film that he can do over the summer.

Are you familiar with Audible.com (Amazon's audiobook branch)? Depending on the membership plan, the cost per book can range from less than $10 to about $15, and additional books can be purchased at discount. They also have frequent sales such as BOGO, or 100 books for under $5, or whatever. They have a wide selection of US History, including the complete History of US, Zinn, etc. A quick search for "American history" pulled up this list. Here is a list of audiobooks for classic American literature.

You can see a list of the Teaching Company's American History courses here. (Ignore the non-sale prices; they go on sale every few months. You can also easily find them used.)

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

Thanks for the ideas. I recently received a kindle fire so trying to figure out if that would be of any help to her learning a bit more easily. I'm trying to figure out how audible works - cost-wise. I don't want to coddle her but I don't want to overwhelm her and then she shut down because she is overload. I'm trying to find a balance throughout all the coursework and to heavy in one area causing everything else to come crashing in around her. Lots of ideas to look at, write out the possibilities and work from there. She wants to be a teacher and I'm trying to prep her for the work ahead.

Seconding Teaching co. videos and audio lectures.

I suggest looking for them at your public library.

DS used Oak Meadow for 9 th grade LA. We both found the program rather light in content and work load demand, but I think he needed that. He finished it early and is now trying LA at the public school. This has been going surprisingly well for him, although it is time consuming.

Anyways, for my son high school work load has meant long study hours. Reading and writing assignments do take him longer but he just keeps at it until they are completed.

For social studies he is doing world history and we started the year with Spielvogel's World History text but the reading, while not difficult, was laborious, and the questions were focused too much on basic comprehension. Mid way he switched to...an AP World History guide book. He is not going to take the AP exam this year, but the guide book has concise summaries as well as short essay questions and built in review questions. He supplements heavily with documentaries and audios. We have a Teaching Co World History DVD, and he listened to lectures on the Iliad and The Odyssey.

Have you looked into the Lightning Lit American Lit guides? Alternatively, pick out some core literature books and delve into them WTM style.

DS used to listen to downloads from librivix--free open source texts read by volunteers. I do not know what they have for US history but they have plenty on ancients. we found Internet archive was the best website for downloading librivox recordings.