Menu

Math Advice

5 Hikers

SO, my 2nd grader has gone through multiple programs this year. What do I do next?

He has completed SM 2A and 2B, MM-Addition, Subtraction, Clocks and Money, Math with Living Books Vol.1 and 2 by Queen, LOF ABC, and all the Montessori based math for ages 6-12. He also did TT4. I let him take each Chapter test until he didnt pass but he passed them all with 95 or higher. He had problems with the calendar math because he has dyslexia.

The year before He did Saxon2, but it moves way too slow for us.

He knows all the basic math functions (add, subtract, multiply and divide)

What would you do next? I can't have a program that requires a lot of reading unless I can read for him because he is not quite there.

Thanks!

Good for you for letting him test ahead and finding such good math experiences!

For math we always end up using a basic math program (for us, Horizons--not much reading), something with a different perspective (eg, Life of Fred, Challenge Math) and some living math books (eg The Sword and the Cone). Once you find a program/series that you like, it's easier to implement rather than cobbling something together each year. Having that basic spine helped me to feel we are on track and dc won't graduate w/o knowing some crucial math skill. Six years into homeschooling, I know there is no way he could have done all he did in the 'other' math programs if he didn't. I keep it broad and deep.

I read this early on and it altered my view of math education. I have enriched my kids' math experience heartily when I realized that I didn't/shouldn't have to follow the route I took in school. While it might be nice to get college credit in HS or jr. high, we really ought to be sure they play with a variety of topics and methods to encourage life long love and understanding of math. http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Resources/articles.php?page=calculustrap

Thank you, great article!

That makes me feel much better about what we have done this year. I don't care for SM myself, so that is why I didn't rush through and on to the next level.

I will have to research a spine and keep throwing other stuff in.

SO, my 2nd grader has gone through multiple programs this year. What do I do next?

He has completed SM 2A and 2B, MM-Addition, Subtraction, Clocks and Money, Math with Living Books Vol.1 and 2 by Queen, LOF ABC, and all the Montessori based math for ages 6-12. He also did TT4. I let him take each Chapter test until he didnt pass but he passed them all with 95 or higher. He had problems with the calendar math because he has dyslexia.

The year before He did Saxon2, but it moves way too slow for us.

He knows all the basic math functions (add, subtract, multiply and divide)

What would you do next? I can't have a program that requires a lot of reading unless I can read for him because he is not quite there.

Thanks!

I would have him continue on through Singapore, but add in the CWP or IP books which will give him a deeper math understanding than the general books.

You could also go with Beast Academy with starts at 3A, and is now available from AoPS.

That is great that he is doing so well in math. Keep him challenged by adding in more mathematical depth to his curricula.

Good luck.:)

I think you've got so much overlap between what you've been using that you have wasted some time and effort, without adding any depth. Your son's frustrated with a slow pace, but you're essentially slowing him down by duplicating coverage of elementary arithmetic. (I have no experience with TT, but I am assuming that at that level it is just duplicating coverage of material presented in Singapore, MM, etc.) I'd personally can most of that stuff for now, continue on with the Singapore Math, and add problem solving enrichment.

ETA: As long as he's liking math you haven't actually screwed up. Your approach so far has just been suboptimal, not bad. :)

With my other kids, I would just move on to SM3 with challenging word problems. With my current child finishing SM2, we are moving on to Beast Academy.

Think about adding some of Zacarro's books for elementary challenge math. Look at puzzle solving.

I bought Beast Academy today!:D