Menu

kinetic math versus Teaching Textbooks?

I am looking at both of these programs for Prealgebra, and they seem similar, except Kinetic is half the price. They both have lectures on the computer. My initial thought is to stay with TT because why fix what isn't broken, but I wonder if Kinetic is behind in levels like TT is reported to be, and if there are any negatives? If Kinetic is a more compreshensive program, for half the cost, I have to wonder why I haven't seen it mentioned on the boards more. My other concern is that they do not have a placement test. Hmmmmm

All of Kinetic Books programs have a standard scope and sequence, since they were originally designed for public schools; it is not "behind." IMO the problem sets are also more challenging than TT.

As for KB being "half the price," keep in mind that you're paying for a one-year subscription, whereas TT is a set of CD-roms (and a textbook, if you buy it), which can be reused for multiple children and then resold when you're finished, so TT may actually work out to be cheaper in the end.

That said, if I had to choose between just those two programs, I would go with KB.

Jackie

KB is actually a little more challenging than many other courses with the same label - not a lot more challenging, but a little more challenging.

KB has a lower initial cost, but you can't resell it because you are either paying for a one-year subscription or for a cd-rom that can be loaded on only one computer and used for one user.

I thought KB was great. My oldest beta-tested Algebra II. My middle beta-tested Algebra I and also used their Algebra II.

My youngest won't do math on the computer and math is challenging for her, so she isn't doing KB. MUS is about the right level of difficulty for her. It isn't nearly at the level that KB is.

KB is actually a little more challenging than many other courses with the same label - not a lot more challenging, but a little more challenging.

KB has a lower initial cost, but you can't resell it because you are either paying for a one-year subscription or for a cd-rom that can be loaded on only one computer and used for one user.

I thought KB was great. My oldest beta-tested Algebra II. My middle beta-tested Algebra I and also used their Algebra II.

My youngest won't do math on the computer and math is challenging for her, so she isn't doing KB. MUS is about the right level of difficulty for her. It isn't nearly at the level that KB is.

Thanks for the quick replies. He likes math on the computer, but he is the type of child who will only do what is required and not an ounce more. He was in public school until this year, so "traditional " math is all he knows. I think that if KB follows a traditional scope and sequence it might be great for him, and provide more of a challenge then TT.