Menu

Singapore Math Question

readinmom

Has anyone started in the middle using Singapore math? Dd was playing with the practice tests this evening and was most comfortable with 2A. If we do this, is it possible to "catch up"?

I know that math is not a race, but I do want her to have a solid foundation. Also, I know that there are two editions. Which do you use, and why?

Thanks!

Yep, we started this year!! DS tested into 3A, and I actually got him the 2B IP just to let him get used to the style with some familiar concepts. Turned out to be too easy, actually, and we're working in the 3's now. It was a little different to get used to, but we're getting there.

We use the US Edition, but some people swear by the Standards. I think you could make a valid argument for either one.

By the way, I see you're using CLE now?? Are you switching away from that, or adding in Singapore?? I ask because at the moment, we're doing both. :) I guess we'll see which one we like better after a while...

We started at 2B for my oldest, and it worked fine. The first few books we worked with were the Singapore editions, which we adored. When my youngest started, we bought the US Standards Edition, which was fine, but we missed the metric system and the pictures of foreign money. I feel like the pacing and organization was nicer in the Singapore editions, but I never compared them directly, 2A to 2A, so it could just be that I liked reading problems about unusually named children purchasing unusually named fruit. My US edition never left us researching rambutans.

You technically aren't really behind. In Singapore they start their primary math at age 7 (1A). It's a good thing to start where she is comfortable and not push it. Singapore's process is based on building mental math skills. So, in some ways I think her maturity will be a asset and you'll probably see her grasping things a bit quicker. There's plenty of time. :)

Thanks for all the responses. I love the concept of the mental math. We will be starting with the 2 series. We will continue on and finish CLE 3; there wasn't a problem with this set. Dd enjoys working through the units. My concern is that her ps is so focused on the testing results that they are only teaching the concepts that appear most frequently.

Has anyone started in the middle using Singapore math? Dd was playing with the practice tests this evening and was most comfortable with 2A. If we do this, is it possible to "catch up"?

I know that math is not a race, but I do want her to have a solid foundation. Also, I know that there are two editions. Which do you use, and why?

Thanks!

The Standards Edition is tied to the California State math standards for scope and sequence. It advances some topics from where they are taught in the US Edition and includes topics not covered in the US Edition. The HIGs are better. and there is more content, more practice, and more review.

There are IP books (Intensive Practice books) that are only published in the US Edition that add challenge to the program. These can be used as a supplement to the SE core books.

Bill

My older girl started in 3b and is now in 5b. I think 3b was a good place to start for her because she didn't know a few topics (like measurement)... plus the word problems start to get a bit harder around that time, so it was good to not jump in at 4 or 5.

Her best friend (a fifth grader) started at 2b during last summer in order to solidify her knowledge. At that age, she was able to whip through most of the series. I think she's finishing 4b now and will soon be caught up. I know it's worked out well for them.