Menu

Need help choosing between Killgallon Grammar or Analytical Grammar for 7th grade

I'm planning language arts for my upcoming 7th grader. For now, I'm going to avoid using a writing curriculum with him, but I want some resources to guide us and keep us moving. I will also do grammar and spelling with him. I'm interested in using Killgallon Sentence Composing just to supplement our home-made writing. I also want him to have something for grammar, and I'm trying to choose between AG and Killgallon's Middle School Grammar. We will use How to Teach Spelling for spelling.

(There is an outside chance that we will use at least some of WWS 2 if it comes out next year. I just REALLY also feel the need to expose him to 5-paragraph essay structure! Even though ds has struggled with WWS 1 at times this year, he tells me that he mostly likes it and that he has learned more with it than with IEW Themed History from a couple of years back. IEW was not a good experience for this ds.)

If I use Killgallon Sentence Composing, should I use Analytical Grammar (which I'm familiar with) *OR* Killgallon Grammar with it?

Help me choose between these:

Killgallon Sentence Composing

Analytical Grammar (Seasons 2-3)

How to Teach Spelling

*OR*

Killgallon Grammar

How to Teach Spelling

I'm have the feeling that one Killgallon book is enough... it seems kind of unscheduled which makes me uncomfortable. AG is very scheduled. I like the idea of scheduling AG and supplementing with Sentence Composing. This seems like a better fit to me.

Comments? Suggestions? Thanks!!!:001_smile:

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

We love Killgallon, but I would use it more as a supplemental program than the only grammar program. It is AMAZING though and you should not drop it off your list. Out of your two options I would go with:

Analytical Grammar (Seasons 2-3)

How to Teach Spelling

Killgallon Grammar is not a grammar program. It is very similar to the Killgallon Sentence Composing book.

Thank you, ladies. It sounds like using AG with Sentence Composing would be the better combination.

MissMoe, I haven't really considered this before, but if the Killgallon books are so similar, would there be a reason to choose one over the other? I wouldn't think to do AG with Killgallon Middle School Grammar....

When I look at the Killgallon books on-line, I can't tell if one has the advantage over the other except maybe Sentence Composing looks easier to implement.... more to the point.

Should I consider AG with Killgallon Grammar??? (Seems like a silly question.)

Still hoping to hear more:001_smile:... Thanks, everyone!

Thank you, ladies. It sounds like using AG with Sentence Composing would be the better combination.

MissMoe, I haven't really considered this before, but if the Killgallon books are so similar, would there be a reason to choose one over the other? I wouldn't think to do AG with Killgallon Middle School Grammar....

When I look at the Killgallon books on-line, I can't tell if one has the advantage over the other except maybe Sentence Composing looks easier to implement.... more to the point.

Should I consider AG with Killgallon Grammar??? (Seems like a silly question.)

Still hoping to hear more:001_smile:... Thanks, everyone!

I can't find my Sentence Composing book right now, so I can't do a point by point comparison.

But Grammar for Middle School : A Sentence-Composing Approach starts each section defining different grammatical tools used in writing such as opening adjectives, delayed adjectives, absolute phrases, participial phrases, gerunds, adverb clauses, ect. The definition is followed by one or two examples. Then a list of model sentences is provided. The model sentences is followed by different practices--unscrambling, combining, imitating, and expanding sentences. Finally the section ends with a creative writing assignment that has one add to a paragraph with the tool just learned as well as past tools.

If I remember correctly, the Grammar for Middle School book had more explanation than the Sentence Composing Book. I decided to start with The Grammar for Middle School book. We are working through it together. I plan to have my girls work through the Sentence Composing book next year on their own.

So yes, you might want to use the Killgallon Book with your AG.

I can't find my Sentence Composing book right now, so I can't do a point by point comparison.

But Grammar for Middle School : A Sentence-Composing Approach starts each section defining different grammatical tools used in writing such as opening adjectives, delayed adjectives, absolute phrases, participial phrases, gerunds, adverb clauses, ect. The definition is followed by one or two examples. Then a list of model sentences is provided. The model sentences is followed by different practices--unscrambling, combining, imitating, and expanding sentences. Finally the section ends with a creative writing assignment that has one add to a paragraph with the tool just learned as well as past tools.

If I remember correctly, the Grammar for Middle School book had more explanation than the Sentence Composing Book. I decided to start with The Grammar for Middle School book. We are working through it together. I plan to have my girls work through the Sentence Composing book next year on their own.

So yes, you might want to use the Killgallon Book with your AG.

Did you mean Killgallon GRAMMAR book? (See bolded above.)

Have you considered that AG teaches grammar through sentence diagramming? This is somewhat different than other grammar programs.

I will be using AG next year with my 7th grader because grammar is extremely difficult for him and diagramming will be an entirely new approach. He seems to learn best being able to see the nuts and bolts of things. I also ordered the Killgallon Sentence Composing book and wanted too use that with WWS.

Edited by Heathermomster

Have you considered that AG teaches grammar through sentence diagramming? This is somewhat different than other grammar programs.

I will be using AG next year with my 7th grader because grammar is extremely difficult for him and diagramming will be an entirely new approach. He seems to learn best being able to see the nuts and bolts of things. I also ordered the Killgallon Sentence Composing book and wanted too use that with WWS.

Hi Heather, I've used AG before, and I realize it teaches grammar through sentence diagramming. That is why I thought Sentence Composing would be a better fit... I'm just trying to determine which to use with AG: Killgallon Grammar or Sentence Composing.

I plan to teach writing in three steps: focus on words (AG will help by reviewing parts of speech), then sentences (This is where Killgallon would be helpful), then paragraphs (Not sure if I'll use a resource here; I considered AG's Writing the Essay/Research Paper).

:001_smile: