Menu

Ipads for Homeschooling . . . ?

farming_mum

Books really don't take much space so you might be fine with a 32G. Music and books on tape, on the other hand, suck space like crazy!

I read pdfs from Google Books and pdfs tend to be space suckers, too:001_smile:. But the books are Victorian children's books, tracts, magazines, etc and any other format loses the character of the book (and in the case of the Kindle one I tried, the illustrations!). I'll research the 32 vs the 64 more, though!

I can't wait to read books on that bea-u-tiful screen!

As for the scanning, it took me about a month to do the bulk of the scanning. If you're curious how I did it, here's a post about it.

Thanks heaps for the link!

I have a 3in1 printer which also scans but it saves scans as jpg files and each scan is saved as a separate file. How do you save the whole book as one document?

Do you use a special scanner? That just scans and nothing else?

Cheers :D

Thanks heaps for the link!

I have a 3in1 printer which also scans but it saves scans as jpg files and each scan is saved as a separate file. How do you save the whole book as one document?

Do you use a special scanner? That just scans and nothing else?

Cheers :D

I used this scanner (or maybe an older model; it's been nearly two years now). It automatically feeds all the pages through and scans boths side of the page at the time. I could create a .pdf file or .jpg images and some other formats too, I think. Since it feeds all the pages through itself, I'd just scan one book at a time and save it as one file. It's just a scanner, nothing else.

When I bought my macbook I got a homeschooling discount from apple.

Is there a similar discount on the ipad?

I can't really tell from their educational online store.

I actually called Apple about this. Unfortunately, no discount on the Ipad at this time. They do offer discounts on the mac books. I was told there is no set discount, that it depends on the model.

I use Planbook for scheduling. It works with both Mac and iPad, and is available on their respective App Stores. I am fond of goodreader for managing and annotating PDFs.

The kids have their own iPods which they use for reading and educational games. My iPad is my tool unless there is a specific iPad only app I want them to use. In a couple of months we will upgrade to the 3 and then this will go to the kids.

I'm building my arguments to convince myself we really need and iPad :). When you talk of sharing files on the computer, etc, is that to another Apple product like a Mac or would this work with a PC as well? Our desktop and laptop are both PC's, running Windows 7.

How do those of you who share an iPad with your kids work with the teacher's manuals on the iPad? I like to have the teacher's manual available while my daughter has the student book so that we can more easily discuss, it's easy to check work, etc. I'm not sure how you would check worksheets if both the worksheets and answer keys are on the iPad? You can probably tell we haven't tried any digital texts or workbooks yet;).

Do any of you use the subscriptions to regular digital textbooks (like Holt, Prentice Hall, etc) on the iPad? Do those work well for you? I've seen the new interactive iTextbooks and really like the looks of them, but can't find out how you access the teacher's manuals or supplemental materials like study guides (and they are all aimed at high school at the moment, at least the last time I checked).

Guest hartlanes

I have recently purchased an iPad for myself, and I love it! I have downloaded many educational apps for free that my daughter just loves! I think there is something to be said for having various modes of learning, teaching and practicing information. Its really a wonderful change, many of the apps have some great abilities, like quickly categorizing the answers she got wrong, and generating just a review of those questions again. It can come with us wherever we go!