Menu

What phonics program for a kid who already reads CVC words?

LittleIzumi

And who wants to do it "BY MYSELF!" It cannot be babyish or try to teach her letters/basic sounds--or at least I have to be able to completely skip those parts, lol. She's been flying through ETC 1 easily, can spell any CVC word I say, etc, but she needs a bit more handholding for blends and I want to get an actual program.

I had planned to just use ETC and AAS but I'm generally dumping ETC for all my kids as they fly through the books and don't actually retain it at all. I know I'll be using Dancing Bears for The Sponge but I'm not sure about The Drama. I'm still not certain about her learning style. It seems to change regularly. Oh, and we've tried OPGTR. Nope. Not our style.

My DD is very similar. She knew her CVC words well before we officially started a program, so it was hard to find a starting point. She's finished the first three ETC books and while she enjoyed them, I felt the same way you did. We've actually finished up AAS and I've seen a huge improvement. We finished the book in about 3 months (we did it maybe 2-3 times a week). I skipped over the parts that seemed redundant and focused on the blends that she had difficulty with. We are going to move on to AAS and also combine it with AAR. I had a couple of friends that said AAR was a great program to use for children who completed AAS but still needed help with fluency. The combination is pricey, but since I have other kids to pass it on to, I don't mind if she flies through it.

The closest I've come for 'independent' phonics instruction is either using the Learn to Read program by CLE, or something online like Headsprout, Reading Eggs, etc.

I know someone posted like a year's worth of free Reading Eggs codes here.

Also Reading Bear.com is free and teaches phonics to children online.

The closest I've come for 'independent' phonics instruction is either using the Learn to Read program by CLE, or something online like Headsprout, Reading Eggs, etc.

I know someone posted like a year's worth of free Reading Eggs codes here.

Also Reading Bear.com is free and teaches phonics to children online.

Oh, I forgot about readingbear.com. Thanks!