Menu

Back pain years after spinal fusion surgery? (scoliosis question)

Dd's surgery was nearly 4 years ago. Last year she frequently complained of back pain. We went back to the surgeon who called for new x-rays. The fusion seems to be just as he'd hoped. He called for physical therapy, which helped to improve it in the short-term.

Now, months later, we're in the same place. The physical therapist actually sent us back to the surgeon for a pain/anti-inflammatory injection (just to the side of the top of the fusion/rods).

It helped for a few days.

Sigh.

Now we're back working with the physical therapist. Dd has a few foam rolls for sleeping/sitting and a couple of resistance tubes with stability ball to practice muscle strengthening at home.

Is this unusual? If you or a family member has had this surgery, was chronic pain an issue?

tia

:grouphug: I'm so sorry you dd is having back pain! My scoliosis surgery was a very long time ago. I've not had any particular problems over the years, but I make sure I keep my abdominal muscles strong and do back exercises regularly. I wish I had some suggestions or advice for you, but we'll pray that the doctor finds and takes care of the problem.

I didn't have scoliosis but rather a back injury and had a spinal fusion 3 Weeks ago. My surgeon told me that the only way to tell if the fusion "took" or in other words if the vertebrae grew together properly was to do an MRI. Maybe she needs further testing beyond a plain xray which doesn't tell you anything about the nerves or whats going on inside the spinal column.

I had spinal fusion surgery in 2001 and am in constant pain now. Here is a wikipedia article that explains how this phenomenon is fairly common:

Failed Back Surgery Syndrome

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Ok y'all are making me nervous. I didn't decide on this surgery overnight. In fact I fought it for over a year. It got to the point that I was suffering so much without it I figured I had to try....

Ok y'all are making me nervous. I didn't decide on this surgery overnight. In fact I fought it for over a year. It got to the point that I was suffering so much without it I figured I had to try....

Sorry. I thought about it for years as well because I was deteriorating so much in what I was capable of doing. My kids were doing all the housework, cooking, etc. - it was very frustrating and I felt I was failing them. I finally decided to get the surgery and I felt better for a while, but the problem with spinal fusion is that after a while the discs above and below the fusion start to feel the pressure and cave in. Then the vertebra rub together causing inflammation and pain. I take lots of ibuprofen which I know is not good for my liver, but I don't know what else to do. If I lie down for a short time, the inflammation subsides and I'm okay for a few hours. I do have to pace myself and be very careful. I wish I had better news. It does work for some people. I'm sorry you having to deal with this.

I'm so sorry you all are dealing with this. I've lived with an almost 50* curve since puberty. I never got the surgery because my insurance sucked and all my drs kept leaving our HMO. My chiropractor keeps me functional. I don't know if that would help after surgery, though. I'd probably be afraid of going if i had had the surgery. I hope you find answers.

Then the vertebra rub together causing inflammation and pain..

This is the reason I had to have my fusion. It wasn't a result of the fusion, but mine is also very low which may be why I don't have much pain. Usually I only have pain if I do too much heavy lifting or lots of bending and such with yard work.

My dd had 12 vertebrae fused 5 years ago. She has had pain but usually only when she really overdoes it at ballet. She started ballet after her fusion and now she dances 6 days per week. Her pain is in her lower back below her fusion. She recently saw a chiropractor and he did some gentle adjusting of her lower back/hip area and it did seem to help her.

• 7 months later...
Guest missunderstood

i am 25 years old an had my scoliosis surgery 8 years ago i am now always in pain from my neck down to my lower back there are nights i cant sleep from the pain i have tryed everything I'm even on pain meds to no help whats so ever

Has she tried taking a break from her assigned exercises? My scoliosis surgery was years ago and I am only rarely in pain. It usually happens when I move the wrong way. For me, this includes too much vacuuming, raking, and heavy lifting, but it is easily mimiced by PT exercises that I have been assigned over the years such as leaning forward to pick up an exercise ball and then lifting it over my head.

Finding the solution is tricky. I am sorry your daughter is in pain.:grouphug:

I've had two spinal fusions and one revision (for a total of three surgeries). I'm in pain a lot, but nowhere near the level I had before the surgeries. You know it's bad when you can qualify the type of pain (oh, I did too much vs. it's going to rain). I am an excellent meteorologist now. I know when it's going to rain long before the clouds roll in.

I've just resigned myself to the fact that pain is a part of my life.