Menu

Trouble with Barton - ideas?

My son is 15 next month and is still on Barton level 3. We don't have any dx yet as we are waiting for our testing date - I'm sure dyslexia, OCD, maybe something on the spectrum and other things.

We've done level 3 twice already and he just failed the post test again so here we go for a third time. It's helped his reading tremendously, but just can't remember all of the spelling rules. It's a memory issue. He and I are both frustrated. What should we do?

:grouphug:

I've never used Barton so I don't know if how the program works.

My DS11 has severe dyslexia and memory issues. There is no way he could remember a bunch of rules. I have him doing Dancing Bears and Apples & Pears spelling. He is making so much progress.

We do each DB page two days in a row or until he really gets it. We have stayed on some pages for a full week. I've also noticed with my DS, if he takes a day off, he has setbacks. I make him do his DB at lease one day on weekends, but it would be best if I made him do it both Sat & Sun. We try not to ever take off more than two days in a row. Even with just one day off he regresses.

Is there a way you could keep going with Barton and add in Apples and Pears? My youngest is just starting Level 3, so I am not sure if the reading and spelling could be separated; as in, you could do the spelling part, but move forward based on the reading part, if that makes sense.

I just hate that he is frustrated, as confidence plays such a huge part. :grouphug:

My oldest (Aspie with other issues) really did well with Apples and Pears, so I plan to start it with my youngest (dyslexia) soon.

I would e-mail or call Susan Barton and ask her this question. She has always been very helpful when I've contacted her. I use Barton for my daughter and can't remember all the rules :001_smile:, but we are in Level 8. I've got copies of the rule pages to refer to if my daughter needs them. I don't know if she will ever remember them all herself, but her spelling has improved and she is much better at using her spell checker than she used to be. We've also had to stop and review spelling rules a few times.

Please do contact Susan Barton. I hope you find help!

I agree with the suggestion to contact Susan Barton. Here are a couple more ideas:

Print out the Barton spelling rules with the pictures and review them at the start of each and every lesson. Keep them out when he's working on his lessons. (BTW, did you have the spelling rules pages out for him to reference during his post test?)

You write that it's mainly a memory issue. You can work on his memory through other resources too. Some of the Barton activities, (like dictation with the repeating phrases and sentences), can help with memory, but Barton is not specifically as a memory program. You might want to look at something like Lingua Systems book "Help for Memory" or do some other work on memory apart from reading and spelling. (edit to add: I see you are waiting on testing and dx. I'd suggest you bring your concerns about his memory to the tester's attention and ask what the md for suggestions on improving memory.)

Edited by merry gardens

I agree with the suggestion to contact Susan Barton. Here are a couple more ideas:

Print out the Barton spelling rules with the pictures and review them at the start of each and every lesson. Keep them out when he's working on his lessons. (BTW, did you have the spelling rules pages out for him to reference during his post test?)

You write that it's mainly a memory issue. You can work on his memory through other resources too. Some of the Barton activities, (like dictation with the repeating phrases and sentences), can help with memory, but Barton is not specifically as a memory program. You might want to look at something like Lingua Systems book "Help for Memory" or do some other work on memory apart from reading and spelling. (edit to add: I see you are waiting on testing and dx. I'd suggest you bring your concerns about his memory to the tester's attention and ask what the md for suggestions on improving memory.)

I bought a Trifold poster board for my son and glued all the rule pages onto that. I set it up when he is doing his lessons and it really helps.

:iagree: Contact Susan Barton.

The flash cards with pictures have been a HUGE help to my ds.

:grouphug:

Thank you so much ladies. I'm feeling a time crunch here with him and I'm afraid I'll run out of time. I am already worried that his highschool is not going to be anywhere near what I thought it would be (even though I've already lowered my expectations due to his abilities).

I do have all of Dancing Bears and all of Apples and Pears and I think I will be utilizing it more to see if it helps.

I will also contact Susan. I did not have the rules out during the test as I didn't think we were supposed to have them out then. He has them out at all other times though.

What are the flashcards with pictures? Can you purchase them or do you make them?

I wish I could make the whole program work like a commercial or jingle on tv - he seems to remember every single commercial or jingle he's ever seen or heard. :)

...What are the flashcards with pictures? Can you purchase them or do you make them? ...

They're on the Tutor support portion of the website under the section "Spelling Rules Flashcards". You need a password from Barton to access them and then you can print them out at home. I printed them on cardstock so they stand up to frequent handling.

I agree to call Susan Barton.

I don't do everything as Susan Barton suggests, so take this for what it is worth. I have continued moving through the levels with my daughter which has helped her reading tremendously. I make sure she understands all the reading rules. We go over and practice the spelling rules, but I don't let that hold us back from progressing on her reading. I have just recently started a spelling program (All About Spelling) and doing in concurrently with Barton.