Menu

History for Grammar AND Logic levels??

Hello,

I am thinking about next year. I will have a child in the 1st year of the Logic stage for history and a child in the 1st year of the Grammar stage. I would really like to find a program that allows me to combine their work.

We have all of the SOTW on book and CDs as well as the Activity Guides. My oldest is finishing up SOTW 4 this year. We've done the four years by listening to the CDs, answering the questions, and then supplementing with A LOT of extra reading. I expect to follow the same pattern for my youngest, but I think she will enjoy the activities more than my son did and she will probably want fewer supplemental reading.

So, my plan is to start SOTW all over again with my youngest but I'd like something for my oldest that can match up with SOTW but take it farther, especially in terms of reading and writing exercises (writing is not his strong point but I would like him to start that for history next year.) I would really like a curriculum for my oldest that includes a list of supplemental readings, especially for strong, advanced readers. I would also like a program that gives a list of corresponding videos. Ideally, I would love for them both to be working on a certain topic together and listening to SOTW, watch videos together, but have my son be working more in depth.

Any suggestions on a curriculum I can purchase for my Logic stage child that will compliment SOTW?

I will have one in 1st year logic next in the ancients as well as one in grammar doing SOTW1 (though my grammar child will be in 3rd next year)

I will be doing just as you described. I am not using a purchased curriculum to tie it together though. My logic dd's work will come from the plans laid out in logic stage history section. She will use the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia page numbers from the SOTW A.G. to let her know which history pages she should be reading. There are lots of extra reading suggestions for logic stage in SOTW A.G. lists if I remember correctly, if not, WTM has many. Older dd will outline from the encyclopedia, write 1-2 narrations a week from extra reading, make a timeline, and do extra mapwork on top of listening to SOTW readings. I don't know how many projects we will get in, but little dd will at least do color pages for her notebook.

Plus, we will be doing The Classical House of Learning's Ancient Literature Study for Logic stage. That will tie lit. to history with a lit. guide and assignments.

Plus, we will be doing The Classical House of Learning's Ancient Literature Study for Logic stage. That will tie lit. to history with a lit. guide and assignments.

Have you seen CHOLL? It is free & uses SOTW as a spine. And it has Logic stage writing, vocabulary, and literature.

No videos, but it has a basic literature list & then an "optional" list to extend for more reading enjoyment. Did I mention it is FREE?

(I'm planning on using History Odyssey Level 2 Ancients with my oldest, but tweaked to tie in CHOLL. My dd#2 & dd#3 will be going through SOTW 1. So, I'm in a similar boat.)