Menu

Need a great book for US History, like "A Child's History of the World"

edeemarie

Does such a book exist for US History? We are going to be using MFW ECC next year, but I want my kids to keep up on their US history too. My husband is a big history buff and wants this to be a big part of our kids' education:) I just want something that maybe we can read a story from every other day maybe, and that is kid friendly (my oldest is only 8). Any suggestions greatly appreciated! Thanks!

We are reading Mara Pratt's American History Stories, Volumes I-IV this year. This is the first American history I have done that has been as enjoyable to my kids as CHOW. I am reading through these with 3rd and 1st graders. My 3rd grader cheers when it is time to read it, and he often asks me to read extra chapters just like he did with CHOW.

The downsides are that these books only cover up to about 1900. Also, they have not been revised and so contain words that may not have been objectionable when they were written but are now. I pre-read these books over the summer and edited them myself with a Sharpie. This was most important for Volume IV about the Civil War. I didn't find much to change in the first three volumes except for a word here or there.

Even though I had to pre-edit, these have become my favorite American history books for elementary so far, at least up to 1900. You would need to find something else to use to cover modern American history if you want to go further. After the Pratt books, I am doing an overview of the presidents with memory work and a couple of books including At Home with the Presidents (Morris).

Another book I thought of--

Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans (Edward Eggleston) has become a favorite at our house. We have read through this multiple times. You could use it as a supplement, or along with Eggleston's A First Book in American History. I thought this latter book was good, but it was not as entertaining as CHOW.

We are reading Mara Pratt's American History Stories, Volumes I-IV this year. This is the first American history I have done that has been as enjoyable to my kids as CHOW.

The downsides are that these books only cover up to about 1900. Also, they have not been revised and so contain words that may not have been objectionable when they were written but are now. I pre-read these books over the summer and edited them myself with a Sharpie. This was most important for Volume IV about the Civil War. I didn't find much to change in the first three volumes except for a word here or there.

... I've just started with Volume I, and it seemed rather over-the-top in it's pro-colonialism ... did you find that yourself? I am perfectly happy for her to focus on the best & brightest in the characters and impulses of European explorers/conquerors, but got irritated at the characterization of the Vikings as brave and strong but the Native Americans as having tons of free time on their hands due to their relaxed lifestyle. :tongue_smilie: Do you think the series overall has a reasonably strong moral center a la modern lights (clearly hard work, bravery and Christianity are values for Pratt) -- ie, Eggleston's sort of values ...

Another book I thought of--

Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans (Edward Eggleston) has become a favorite at our house. We have read through this multiple times. You could use it as a supplement, or along with Eggleston's A First Book in American History. I thought this latter book was good, but it was not as entertaining as CHOW.

Seconding Eggleston!!! Hurrah!!! :)

... I've just started with Volume I, and it seemed rather over-the-top in it's pro-colonialism ... did you find that yourself? I am perfectly happy for her to focus on the best & brightest in the characters and impulses of European explorers/conquerors, but got irritated at the characterization of the Vikings as brave and strong but the Native Americans as having tons of free time on their hands due to their relaxed lifestyle. :tongue_smilie: Do you think the series overall has a reasonably strong moral center a la modern lights (clearly hard work, bravery and Christianity are values for Pratt) -- ie, Eggleston's sort of values ...

Seconding Eggleston!!! Hurrah!!! :)

Sure it has some pro-colonialism, but I think that is fine for elementary. Through this series, though, there have been various opportunities for the kids and I to talk about both the negative aspects and positive aspects of colonial America. I did not get the impression of Pratt characterizing the Indians' life as easy by any means. I came away with the impression from her book that she thought they had a very difficult existence.

There is definitely a strong emphasis on good morals and recognition of people who did noble acts, similar to Eggleston's books. These are the kinds of history stories I enjoy reading to young kids.

Sure it has some pro-colonialism, but I think that is fine for elementary. Through this series, though, there have been various opportunities for the kids and I to talk about both the negative aspects and positive aspects of colonial America. I did not get the impression of Pratt characterizing the Indians' life as easy by any means. I came away with the impression from her book that she thought they had a very difficult existence.

There is definitely a strong emphasis on good morals and recognition of people who did noble acts, similar to Eggleston's books. These are the kinds of history stories I enjoy reading to young kids.

Thanks so much! I may have mis-characterized the books by only reading the first few chapters ... we'll give it another go. Button really enjoys the stories.