Menu

Anybody used the Living Math books by Greg Tang?

I used them in my 2nd grade classroom when I was teaching in PS. I would often read them aloud once and then use them in centers for students that were able to work more independently. The kids thought the books were fun and entertaining but after reading it a couple of times, they tended to get bored with it. Once they figure out the riddles there isn't much reason to keep reading. I found that there was greater concept retention when we combined the problems with manipulatives. They're always real life problems so it's very easy to find manipulatives that work well alongside the book. One example involved counting pizza slices, so we actually had a pizza day. I loved that the topics were easy to extend and build upon. Since you have more than one kid, it's definitely more of a long term investment. When one kids completes all the problems at least you know there will be others who can enjoy them too. Check out Amazon. They usually have his books under their 4 for 3 promotion.

Also check out Math Curse by Jon Scieczka, that was another favorite.

I used them in my 2nd grade classroom when I was teaching in PS. I would often read them aloud once and then use them in centers for students that were able to work more independently. The kids thought the books were fun and entertaining but after reading it a couple of times, they tended to get bored with it. Once they figure out the riddles there isn't much reason to keep reading. I found that there was greater concept retention when we combined the problems with manipulatives. They're always real life problems so it's very easy to find manipulatives that work well alongside the book. One example involved counting pizza slices, so we actually had a pizza day. I loved that the topics were easy to extend and build upon. Since you have more than one kid, it's definitely more of a long term investment. When one kids completes all the problems at least you know there will be others who can enjoy them too. Check out Amazon. They usually have his books under their 4 for 3 promotion.

Also check out Math Curse by Jon Scieczka, that was another favorite.

Thank you! Sounds like something I could have fun with ds's with. Dd are to old for the ones I saw but I have a bunch of friends I could pass these on to :D