Menu

I need a well rounded LA program for DS 3rd grade that can be independent

justLisa

By independent, I mean I don't need to sit in front of him every day. He is VERY independent. I could literally give him a stack of work and say do all 'this' by 'this' time and he would do it. We do history/science together, and of course there is a lot of interaction with math.

So is there a sort of boxed type LA curriculum that is good? I do not care to purchase WWE3. We went through WWE2 with ease. I also do not really care for IEW. The problem I run in to is it seems everything I come across that I like is faith based, and that is a deal breaker for me.

ETA: I don't mean I don't want to be any part of the teaching process, just something that is as independent as possible. He has a high reading comprehension so it is easier for him to sort of self-teach than other kids perhaps?

Edited by 425lisamarie

FLL is very different than 1/2 but is still scripted so not very independant. IEW's spelling program Phonetic Zoo might fit the bill. You do sit down for a few minutes at the start of each lesson, a new spelling rule, but then the words are on cd. My son listens to them off his i-pod.

We also use IEW's writing program. The SWI series can be watch video and go and we have yet to run into any discussions of faith, if that is the possible issue. It might be that you don't like the approach and that's fair enough.

How about writing SWB's way. Her taped sessions are excellent and cheap. I listen to them regularly even though we use IEW material. We also use WWE. I'll also ask ds to write a few lines about something he's read, though I don't do it enough. Honestly, he's not reading enough and that means the opportunities are few. That needs to be changed.

Jim

Galore Park Junior English? Have a look at the samples and see if you like it, then ask me for suppliers. 3rd grade is year 4, which is Junior English 2.

Laura

YES!! Ages ago, I vaguely remembered this being suggested in a thread somewhere and when I looked at the link and examples I loved it. I remembered it being from the UK and i spent last night and this morning trying to find it with no luck.

Where can I purchase this? It is exactly what I have been looking for.

Thanks again :)

YES!! Ages ago, I vaguely remembered this being suggested in a thread somewhere and when I looked at the link and examples I loved it. I remembered it being from the UK and i spent last night and this morning trying to find it with no luck.

Where can I purchase this? It is exactly what I have been looking for.

Thanks again :)

You can either buy it from horriblebooks.com in the US, or from bookdepository.co.uk, which ships for free.

If he's working independently, you'll have to go through and 'correct' the British spelling before he gets to the spelling sections.

Laura

You can either buy it from horriblebooks.com in the US, or from bookdepository.co.uk, which ships for free.

If he's working independently, you'll have to go through and 'correct' the British spelling before he gets to the spelling sections.

Laura

THanks! DH was just telling me that LOL. He STILL spells things with an ou (he is from Europe/Canada).