Menu

So many tears with WWE...ideas?

sunnylady303

My 8YO is using WWE 3 and she cries every time I bring it out. She hates it. I don't quite know why. She dictates lovely narrations for her history and science. She takes dictation (not as long) with her AAS, but writing? Forget it. Is there something else to try? Or should I even worry about it? I'm just worrying - she's my first and I don't want to get it wrong. :)

How far is she in AAS? Maybe she's just not quite ready for the writing yet. For students who struggle with writing, I find that after level 3 of AAS is a better time to introduce a writing curriculum. They have mastered over 1000 common words by that point, so spelling is becoming less of an issue (it's not much fun to write if you don't know how to spell anything). Plus, AAS 3 has longer dictations that build up stamina and fluency, and introduces The Writing Station where students practice making up their own sentences with a list of words they've been given. This is a nice transitional exercise to writing outside of spelling. If she's not that far yet, she may just need more help or to wait awhile.

Can you do any of WWE orally (and maybe have her copy what you scribe for her sometimes)?

Merry :-)

Sounds like her trouble is with the physical, writing part? I'm not sure, but I might try doing copywork for awhile, so that she can focus on writing without having to think/remember *at all* until she can do that more smoothly & easily.

It's great that she can do the narrations, though - feel good about that half!

You also might want to listen to SWB's lecture on writing in the grammar stage. Those lectures are great, and I listen to them often, and especially whenever a problem comes up.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/audio-products/audio-lectures.html

:grouphug: Hang in there.

How far is she in AAS? Maybe she's just not quite ready for the writing yet... (it's not much fun to write if you don't know how to spell anything). Plus, AAS 3 has longer dictations that build up stamina and fluency, and introduces The Writing Station where students practice making up their own sentences with a list of words they've been given. This is a nice transitional exercise to writing outside of spelling. If she's not that far yet, she may just need more help or to wait awhile.

Can you do any of WWE orally (and maybe have her copy what you scribe for her sometimes)?

Merry :-)

Sounds like her trouble is with the physical, writing part? I'm not sure, but I might try doing copywork for awhile, so that she can focus on writing without having to think/remember *at all* until she can do that more smoothly & easily.

It's great that she can do the narrations, though - feel good about that half!

You also might want to listen to SWB's lecture on writing in the grammar stage. Those lectures are great, and I listen to them often, and especially whenever a problem comes up.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/audio-products/audio-lectures.html

:grouphug: Hang in there.

I would try cutting back with her-shorter lessons maybe? or sit her down and ask her what parts she doesn't like....might be good to take a little break from it for a bit....

I am thankful they use levels instead of grades for WWE. She is on a level. Crying means she is frustrated. How often do you use it? I would go to two to three lessons a week if you are doing it daily. Expect it to take two years instead of one.

:iagree: Had to do the same thing with WWE 1 and remind myself that it's not about finishing tye book, it's about teaching my child!