Menu

HELP!!!!!!!! Maple Syrup

I have no idea. I just want to say that it is very cool you tapped maple trees. I've actually looked into whether or not we could someday plan a trip to see the process. My girls have read about it in so many books, they would be thrilled to see the process. I can't imagine being lucky enough to actually do it. :001_smile: Good luck with your project.

My dad used a sheet I think.

My mom and I were just remembering our maple syrup days, she made a comment about how important it is to boil it down completely. If it is too thin it apparently spoils. She would definately know. Have fun!

it looks like dh wants to make this a yearly thing so maybe next year you can come around the beginning of March to see the process, I know alot of the major producers in the Northern States do tours (Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, Maine, Vermont (Vermont has a lot))

I've read about them online. The tours would be fun. Of course, seeing fall foliage would be fun too. It is hard to know which season is best for a trip the northeast. :001_smile:

it looks like dh wants to make this a yearly thing so maybe next year you can come around the beginning of March to see the process, I know alot of the major producers in the Northern States do tours (Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, Maine, Vermont (Vermont has a lot))

We have some places here in Pennsylvania (some environmental education type places) that do maple sugaring programs/tours, too. They're pretty fun. :)

I've been told that if you can boil it down outside, that's the best thing. And don't expect to use the pot again for anything else besides maple syrup.

There are some websites with all the steps. We have a lot of maple trees at our new house and I wanted to try and make syrup, but our winter never got cold enough (according to the info on the websites, anyway).

Good luck!!

FYI, my MIL says she stripped the wallpaper off her kitchen walls from the steam of boiling sap :lol:

When they bought this house, the drywall by the stove was all warped from boiling sap. It obviously needed a MUCH better exhaust fan than they had. (40 gallons of sap make 1 gallon of syrup, so the other 39 gallons are stripping the wall paper!)

Everyone I know boils it outside (grill or fireplace) or in a sugar shack.

How fun! Good luck with the maple syrup. I still remember a 1st grade field trip to a maple syrup farm. The highlight was when we all scooped up some snow and it was topped with syrup straight from the tree. :001_smile: