Menu

I have cross-posted this on the Logic Board. I was going to just post there since my immediate need is for 7th grade, but thought maybe some of you with older students would be able to give me some perspective re: the future.

I am trying to figure out what to do w/dd for science for 7th grade while keeping in mind a sequence for the future. For background purposes: She is neither accelerated nor gifted. She will be doing either pre-algebra or a light algebra course for 7th grade & Foerster for 8th grade. She is a very slow reader, but she does read thoroughly, i.e. she knows what she's read when she's done. We have not done much formal science. She reads, she explores outside, she's watched volumes of nature videos (e.g. Planet Earth, etc), she's messed with Snap Circuits, & we've done a few experiments. This summer we'll be doing the GEMS Bubble Festival & Oobleck guides as well as various other experiment books.

After all that, below are the 2 sequences I've come up with. I'm not being specific about high school texts because I think it's too early for me to know what she'll be ready for. I think I'd prefer the second sequence, but I'm afraid that doing Physical Science in 9th grade could be problematic when applying for college.

7th—Science Shepherd Life Science OR DIVE Earth Science + Tarbuck OR Chemistry

8th—Physical Science Derek Owens course OR DIVE + Apologia

9th—Biology or Chemistry

10th—Chemistry or Biology

11th—Physics

12th–1 or more of the following: Adv Chem/Adv Biology/topic of personal interest

7th—Shepherd Life Science

8th—DIVE Earth Science + Tarbuck &/or Signs & Seasons

9th—DIVE Integrated Chemistry & Physics + BJU Physical Science + DIVE kit

10th—Chemistry or Biology

11th—Biology or Chemistry

12th—Physics & Adv Chem/Adv Biology/topic of personal interest

Thank you for any help!!

I have two boys who are, respectively, 15 and 17. Neither of them were particularly interested in science until middle school. We used Rainbow Science those two years. It comes with complete lab supplies and the boys seemed to enjoy it more than what I'd been doing before.

I would probably have moved on to this same program's Spectrum series for high school, but it wasn't published yet. So, I had some choices to make.

There is a cooperative in my town. I checked it out only because I heard a retired chemist was teaching the science classes. He used the Apologia series for high school. I checked Apologia out at the homeschool convention -- the author was there. The text appeared very readable, engagingly written. I decided to give it a try. Essentially, because the homeschool cooperative only meets one day a week, most of the work is actually done at home. They do the labs at the cooperative, however, and I found/find that to be a relief. (I don't enjoy cleaning up after labs.)

I relate all this to tell you that my eldest has now taken Apologia Physical Science, Biology, Chemistry, and is now taking Advanced Chemistry. HE HAS ASKED ME NOT TO RESELL HIS SCIENCE BOOKS -- HE LIKES THEM THAT MUCH. They're the only textbooks he's ever ASKED to keep. Moreover, he just took the ACT and scored a perfect 36 on the science portion of the test. Needless to say, I'm pleased.

Now, I'm not a young-earth creationist in orientation. (You don't mention what your beliefs are in your post.) The Apologia books are young-earth, but the boys and I read all of that, along with material from other perspectives, and discuss it. I firmly believe they should be knowledgeable about all sides in that debate.

So, although I had reservations about Apologia because of the young-earth orientation, I've been very pleased. Most importantly, my sons really have blossomed as far as their knowledge and love of science.

In retrospect, I could have started them with Apologia earlier. But, I do not regret the Rainbow Science series either. I thought it was very good as well.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have.

I don't think Integrated Physics and Chemistry is a problem in 9th. If your child wants to be a STEM major at a very selective university then it probably won't give a strong enough resume, but it will be accepted ALMOST anywhere. As always, check with colleges that might be of interest for your child.

Either one of your schedules will work. One point to consider is math skills. Physical Science will require Algebra, Chemistry will require Algebra or Algebra 2 depending on the book. For Physics, Pre-calculus is usually desirable. There are Conceptual Chemistry and Physics books available if you want to approach the subject without the heavy math requirements. Otherwise, I would consider how your dd's math lines up with the science and let that help to guide you.

In retrospect, I could have started them with Apologia earlier. But, I do not regret the Rainbow Science series either. I thought it was very good as well.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Thank you very much for all of that information Linda! I will check out Rainbow. I'm glad to hear that your sons are doing so well with Apologia. All of our local classes use Apologia so if we decide to outsource that's what we'll have to go with.

I don't think Integrated Physics and Chemistry is a problem in 9th. If your child wants to be a STEM major at a very selective university then it probably won't give a strong enough resume, but it will be accepted ALMOST anywhere. As always, check with colleges that might be of interest for your child.

Either one of your schedules will work. One point to consider is math skills. Physical Science will require Algebra, Chemistry will require Algebra or Algebra 2 depending on the book. For Physics, Pre-calculus is usually desirable. There are Conceptual Chemistry and Physics books available if you want to approach the subject without the heavy math requirements. Otherwise, I would consider how your dd's math lines up with the science and let that help to guide you.

Thank you! If we do Integrated Physics & Chemistry I think it will have to be in 9th--I don't know that dd will be ready for it in 8th. She has no idea what she wants to do yet, but I don't want to be the reason that doors are closed to her.

I am a bit concerned about math. If we do Biology in 9th, etc. she will end up doing required math concurrently with Chemistry & Physics. I guess I could shuffle Physics to 12th (since she should hit Pre-Calc in 11th) & do either Adv. Chem or Bio in 11th. We might be able to do Alg 2 instead of Geometry in 9th so that she's more fully prepared for Chemistry in 10th.

Thank you both for the advice!

Linda,

Thanks for your perspective. We are not YE either, and I gave up on Apologia's GS about a quarter of the way through it b/c it seemed like every other point was about YE theories. I do agree w/the needing of all perspectives, but it seemed like overkill. I will give it a second look as dd could use it next year and I still have everything, including the lab kit.

We, too, are enjoying Rainbow Science this year.

Laura