Menu

Kindle books for TOG?

SewLittleTime

That is weird that it violates copyrights. I mean, if you can go to bookshelfcentral and get a list of all the books for the entire year, with or without owning the program, then why couldn't someone search out the books on kindle and share what they learn?

I know we have used one this year that I purchased. We also access our public domain books that way as well.

That is weird that it violates copyrights. I mean, if you can go to bookshelfcentral and get a list of all the books for the entire year, with or without owning the program, then why couldn't someone search out the books on kindle and share what they learn?

I know we have used one this year that I purchased. We also access our public domain books that way as well.

I had the same thought, and I even worked with intellectual property attorneys. But the answer is that it is what they call a "derivative work." In other words, it is their book list plus additional information. It doesn't matter that they have made their book list public or that the additional information is public. The reason an author/publisher is given the copyright is so the public can have access to the work without the author/publisher giving up the right to make money off that work however they choose. TOG wants to retain the right to not only add the e-book information to their lists, but also to be able to sell it if they so choose. And if they are not vigilant in defending their copyright, then the law may later say they have waived their rights.

In theory, it makes sense. In real life, not so much.

Has anyone submitted the list to TOG to add to the Loom? Or do they not add it because they'd lose Bookshelf Central sales (I imagine most people purchase off Amazon anyway)?

If I remember correctly, they said that TOG were considering doing that at some point in the future, but they have no current plans.

This would be nice to have it on the Loom. But I don't think it's in the works yet.

I think that this is a little bit of a problem for them considering their commitment to always update the program when books go out of print. Considering how many books keep coming and going and that new books may not always have an e-book option right away, perhaps it is just a little too much to keep such a list updated.

I find this a bit absurd also! Legal or not! It has been upsetting noticing a lot of books selected that are not top picks on Amazon. Many of the books are not popular selections, which makes it difficult, especially for those of us outside the US, to find them at the library. It was one of the reasons I decided to leave TOG for grade 5 and up. I think I will be doing a lot of tweaking when we come back to it in the future. For LG I was not prepared to spend $500 or $600 for history, just for the books. I think I will just be using TOG as a guide in the future.

Hi, Marie! Good to see you!

Hi Sherry :seeya:! I did a quick, I am just curious, type of look for you for Year 4 D and out of 47 titles I only found about 20. I did not have time to go through the entire list (64 titles in total, if I remember correctly). When I had tried to do the same for LG and UG year 2, I was barely finding any so I just didn't bother :tongue_smilie:.