Menu

Buying Miquon-What I Need

MrsBasil

I'm looking hard at Miquon for DS when he is ready to do math. I love what I've seen of MEP(and the price! Cost is an issue for me), but haven't been able to preview Miquon to see if I like it better. I like what I've read though.

Anyway. If I were to buy Miquon am I right in thinking I'd want to buy the following?

Lab Sheet Annotations

First Grade Diary

Notes To Teacher

The Orange Level Books

A beginner set of Cuisenaire rods?

I'm looking hard at Miquon for DS when he is ready to do math. I love what I've seen of MEP(and the price! Cost is an issue for me), but haven't been able to preview Miquon to see if I like it better. I like what I've read though.

Anyway. If I were to buy Miquon am I right in thinking I'd want to buy the following?

Lab Sheet Annotations

First Grade Diary

Notes To Teacher

The Orange Level Books

A beginner set of Cuisenaire rods?

Yep.

I would make it a 155 piece set of C Rods. I also advise getting a set of base-10 "flats." These are the same scale as C Rods and serve as "Hundred" values. It is not specifically required by Miquon, but I think it is a logical part of a Math Lab approach to have children model 3 digit numbers at the introduction of mathematics in concrete ways.

If you combine physical manipulatives that give a child a sense of relative value (based on size), combined with an initial naming convention using "math names" (365 = 3-Hundreds 6-Tens 5-Units/or Ones), it help develop a critically important understanding of place value.

If you are feeling somewhat confident about Miquon I would also consider getting the Red book. Miquon is designed to be used in various progressions. One is moving straight through in a linear fashion. Another is continuing on "by topic." If one has additional books it makes working "by topic" possible. For example a child might wish to progress from addition problems in the Orange book to those in Red prior to working on multiplication.

MEP is cool too. The two programs play nicely together.

Bill

And just an fyi that currclick has Miquon pdfs. I'm looking forward to being able to print it out for each child :)

AH, I never thought to check Currclick out for Miquon stuff. Nice!

And I second getting the red book. My dd pops back and forth from orange to red often.

I have a few c-rod and Miquon posts here on my blog if you care to see them in action. We are so happy with them!

For base 10 flats do I just get any set or are some better than others? For instance is a set with more pieces better as with the C rods?

A set of base-10 "flats" comes with 10 "flats." One set suffices for modeling numbers, some parents might want two sets for doing 3 digit addition and subtraction, but we got by with one set of ten.

A set of "flats" should cost about $10-12. Any set is fine quality-wise.

Bill

I have a few c-rod and Miquon posts here on my blog if you care to see them in action. We are so happy with them!

Funny you should mention that, your blog was one that initially pushed me into looking more closely at Miquon. I loved your posts.

Slight s/o, DS is 3. I saw that Cuisenaire published an alphabet activity book. Anyone use that for younger kids?

Slight s/o, DS is 3. I saw that Cuisenaire published an alphabet activity book. Anyone use that for younger kids?

I haven't seen it- but I'd love to check it out. I have a 19 month old that loves tossing around the rods when her sisters are doing their lessons. She'd be young yet for a book but I could use it down the road. Do you recall where you saw it?