Menu

WRTR kit?

UnionJack

Hello! When starting WTRT for the first time (for a kindergartener), should I buy the whole kit? Is it all necessary? (The writing paper is probably a bit small, for example, and the 3rd grade and above spelling/vocabulary notebook wouldn't come into play quite yet [and he'll probably join his older brother at a Classical Christian private school in 1st grade]....) Is there a more efficient way to purchase the things I need or is buying the whole kit the best way? Thanks so much for any guidance!!

Hello! When starting WTRT for the first time (for a kindergartener), should I buy the whole kit? Is it all necessary? (The writing paper is probably a bit small, for example, and the 3rd grade and above spelling/vocabulary notebook wouldn't come into play quite yet [and he'll probably join his older brother at a Classical Christian private school in 1st grade]....) Is there a more efficient way to purchase the things I need or is buying the whole kit the best way? Thanks so much for any guidance!!

To do Spalding (Spalding is the method; WRTR is the manual) with a 5yo, you really only need the manual (WRTR) and the phonogram cards. The paper would be fine (Spalding Education International wouldn't include it in the kit, or sell it separately, if it were too small). You could buy the teacher guide if you want, but you don't *need* it.

I would look on Amazon for the 4th edition of WRTR. There is a set of the phonograms in the book, you would just need to copy them onto cardstock.

Another good one is "Phonics for Reading: A Primer" by Bonnie Dettmer. It is Spalding based and has all of the student notebook pages in it for copying.

They would both be very inexpensive to get started. A sewn composition book with 3/8" lines is good for beginners, too.

The newer 5th edition of WRTR is entirely too scholarly and makes the whole process seem much more difficult than necessary, IMO.

I use The Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading which is also a Spalding spin-off as well, but the price point is higher!

Oh one more question--you mentioned the paper not being too small (or it wouldn't be included), but the kit also includes the notebook for 3rd & up...is the paper for the (slightly) older years?

Um...I think the paper is for the younger years. Some people have littles keep spelling notebooks, which is why one is included, but it is not required, which is why the paper is included. You get to choose. :)