Menu

Having a terrible time learning how to knit! Help!

I did knit a baby cap on the circular needle which looks like, well, like a beginner did it, and I am now trying to knit another cap but I've had to start over so many times due to dropped stitches. I'm just not very good at picking them up so I end up having to rip the whole thing and starting over and over again. Is there such thing as innate talent for knitting? I'm starting to wonder. I just joined a knitting circle but am becoming reluctant to go back as the other women seem to learn knitting with much less effort than I. Or are they just good at faking it?:)

Try knittinghelp.com videos. They are very helpful and FREE. Also, it's much easier to pick up dropped stitches with a crochet hook. Anyone who says it's easy to learn at first is faking it. Like any new skill it takes practice. Don't be discouraged!

Hang in there! Could you take a knitting class at a local Michael's to help you along the way?

My advice is to always start with something super easy, like dishcloths. That is how I started. Plus with them you can always learn new stitches. I also like them because there a fast project and you feel a sense of accomplishment really soon. :D

I did knit a baby cap on the circular needle which looks like, well, like a beginner did it, and I am now trying to knit another cap but I've had to start over so many times due to dropped stitches. I'm just not very good at picking them up so I end up having to rip the whole thing and starting over and over again. Is there such thing as innate talent for knitting? I'm starting to wonder. I just joined a knitting circle but am becoming reluctant to go back as the other women seem to learn knitting with much less effort than I. Or are they just good at faking it?:)

I having been taking a board break, but I cannot resist helping you out here :)

I am a long time crocheter (and pretty much every other needle and fiber art), but just recently picked knitting up. Joining Ravelry.com has been a major help and inspiration (and time sucker...lol). You have to sign up on the waiting list for an invite, but mine only took about a week and then I could jump in. There is a WTM group and other homeschool groups their too.

I am going back to my board break, but feel free to PM me for more info. I am artcofeewords at Ravelry if you want to look for me there.

It took me only a few weeks to learn the very basics of knitting, but years to learn to fix my many mistakes, lol. Thankfully I was blessed during those years to have my dh's meme right up the street from me. I'd carry in my basket and she would help.

You've been given some good advice above, but I would personally suggest trying a different sort of project, circulars are a bit tougher to work with and would definitely make picking up dropped stitches tougher, IMO. A dishcloth or small carseat size blanket for a baby might be an easier place to start. Rather than starting your project completely over you may be able to remove your needles and rip down a row at a time and then string all your stitches back on (a set of tiny size 1 needles is much easier to re-string with). Don't worry if a few are twisted, just try to get them back on. It won't really make much of a difference.

I also find many patterns and helps online these days. If you have the DIY network they have a cute show called 'Knitty Gritty' that has some good close pics of the knitting. If at all possible find an knitting mentor who can help you to really get going, I've helped several women IRL and most knitters truly do love to share. I've never participated in a knitting circle but have found that many of the ladies in upscale yarn shops are happy to spend some serious time with you. I think they consider it a business investment :001_smile:!

Feel free to pm with any specific issues as well, I'll do what I can.

The easiest way I learned to pick up dropped stitches was with the book Stitch N' B*tch. The pictures and her explanation really helped me. Also as others suggested the videos at knittinghelp.com. I knit a hat as the first thing I knit (other than practicing on a scarf that never got finished), but used dpns...much easier to get to those dropped stitches.

If you do decide to do a dishcloth as others suggested, there are some really cute designs vs just knitting and purling back and forth here (scroll down below "ABC".

Thanks for all your suggestions for the videos and books. I'll check them out and also from your feedback, I realized that I started off with a project that I wasn't ready for. The knitting circle was formed a few months ago for a ministry where baby caps are knitted for the newborns in the hospital. So...I joined a circle that's really more for the experienced knitters so I'll just step back and start with dishcloths for practice. That should take the pressure off me and make knitting the relaxing hobby that it's supposed to be, right? Right, ladies?:)