Menu

When do students take their last ACT/SAT before college applications?

I've got my panties in a twist.

Ds took the ACT at the end of 9th grade. I wanted him to take it at the end of 10th grade and 11th grade. His competitive basketball coaches just scheduled tournaments on the ACT weekends in April and June. Argh! :cursing::banghead::mad: Ds can miss a game if I make a big enough stink, but it will be a battle.

Attempting to be flexible one more time (my life is all about being flexible), I am considering the September ACT date instead. He could take it at the beginning of 11th and 12th. Is September of 12th grade too late for college applications? A df who hs'ed 5 told me to start applying at the end of 11th grade for the best scholarship opportunities. I suppose we could do September and June of 11th grade if need be.

I hate when the best laid plans of mice and men...

BTW, the May and June SAT test dates have tournaments as well. Ds is on an 11th grade team. I'm wondering what the heck the other parents are doing???

Excuse me...I'm hormonal.

September of the 12th grade year is not too late, as far as I'm concerned. Some students take it even later.

My daughter is taking the ACT in April, but I think she'll probably take it again in September, if we can't fit in the June administration. We met with the admissions counselor from Michigan Tech last week, and she told us that taking the ACT again in the fall is fine, especially if your child is hoping to bump their score up a bit for the scholarship cutoffs.

We have scholarship/early decision deadlines as early as October 15th, but nothing requires us to start applying at the end of this year (11th grade).

You can fill out applications, and have the ACT scores sent when the testing is completed. You don't need the ACT scores prior to completing applications.

September is NOT too late!

I do fell your pain -- when ds1 was doing debate, it seemed like all of the major debate tournaments conflicted with SAT dates or were right before the AP exams. Why do people who are dealing with high schoolers not remember that there are certain immutable facts in students' lives, and a BIG one is need to take and do well on these silly tests?

Sept is not too late but I would try to get a set of scores earlier.

Have you pointed out to the coaches that they are doing this?

Could you register for the test in the town where the tournament is? Or join the tournament Sat afternoon after the test?

:iagree: I suppose it depends on what level of college and/or scholarships you are aiming toward, but I'd want a spring/summer junior score in and I'd skip a game to get one. Then, if necessary, you can brush up to improve a score with fall testing. If it's not necessary, it's better to be "ready to go" for applications.

Sept is not too late for a score to count, but it's kind of late when figuring out where one is in the ranking system to select colleges to apply to.

Have you pointed out to the coaches that they are doing this?

The coaches are great in that they are organized and communicative (a rarity in our sports experience). They handed out a list of potential tournaments and asked for feedback. I expressed a desire to have one or the other weekend free because of the ACT. He let me know that there would be tournaments on both those weekends and understood that ds may not make a Saturday am game.

Could you register for the test in the town where the tournament is? Or join the tournament Sat afternoon after the test?

I am considering doing just that. The June weekend is out of town, but there are plenty of locations to take the ACT near the tournament that weekend.

The coaches are great in that they are organized and communicative (a rarity in our sports experience). They handed out a list of potential tournaments and asked for feedback. I expressed a desire to have one or the other weekend free because of the ACT. He let me know that there would be tournaments on both those weekends and understood that ds may not make a Saturday am game.

I am considering doing just that. The June weekend is out of town, but there are plenty of locations to take the ACT near the tournament that weekend.

That's what I was going to suggest. Doing it that way will mean he'll miss as little as possible of game time. If you have him take it without the writing, he'll get out earlier.

Yeah, and I had him all set to start working with the ACT writing tutor today. Grr.

:lol: Sounds like my kind of timing. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: You can still have him do the tutoring and prep, and then sometime around the test date, have him use one of the old test prompts to write up his essay. Then the tutor could help go over it with him and come up with what his score would likely have been.