Menu

When did you switch to KISS grammar...

We are using it right now with Grade 6, Level 1. We've done R&S4 last year, completed MCT Island and Town, are also doing SC for elementary and worked our way through all of the 15 week ALL sample. They know grammar .. but it's been good to have them 4 part analyzing new sentences with KISS. I will say that I miss the diagramming .. I need to add that to it perhaps, although this may be enough. I have toyed with the idea of getting R&S 6 next year. Not sure. We aren't far enough into KISS to really say what I love or don't love about it.

Thank you, SaDonna. What did you think of the 15 week ALL sample? Would you have continued with it, if it was completed? In your opinion, how did it compare to Island and Town?

I've found several good threads about KISS, so I'll dive in and get down to reading them.

I forgot to answer your other question about comparing it. I guess we went over 'some' of the concepts, but she takes it to a higher level and we were diagramming each week as well. I would liken it to a modern R&S that was interesting and had great excerpts and sentences.

KISS has good literature too though, but so far with Level 1 it's not anything really like the layout in ALL.

The KISS stuff is tripping up the kids for sure. It's like if it's not in the MCT Practice Town Guide all of a sudden they can't figure out this or that. I know they know it .. but the different format .. or look of it makes them think. I think that is a good thing. I plan to stay with it through the rest of this school year and decide a few months from now how it is going for us.

My 10yo 5th grader recently added KISS to MCT Voyage level.

KISS is mainly grammar. MCT has various components--writing, poetry, grammar, etc.

We also use Rex Barks for diagramming, WWS for writing, and VIE for mechanics, etc. (Next year we'll switch VIE to Hake.)

How do you schedule KISS, MCT, and VIE together? BTW, what is VIE?

How do you schedule KISS, MCT, and VIE together? BTW, what is VIE?

VIE is Voyages in English. :001_smile:

This is more info than you asked for, but hopefully it will give you an idea of how it works. It may seem like a lot, but it flows quite nicely for us.

We have a two week rotation.

Week one--

Grammar

~10 min MWF--KISS lesson and sentences, TT--MCT practice sentences

~15 min M-Thur Voyages in English, Fri--Rex Barks

Writing

~60 min M-Thur WWS, F--MCT Vocab

~30 min Tues during Tea--MCT Poetry

Week two--

Grammar

~10 min MWF--MCT practice sentences, TT--KISS lesson and sentences

~15 min M-Thur Voyages in English, Fri--Rex Barks