Menu

Supplementing RightStart B with Horizon, Singapore, or other

Papillon Mom

I'm looking to supplement RightStart B with another math. This year we did Horizon K which has gone great. Singapore math seems so popular that I am tempted to switch to that. Horizon seems to be much less popular. Is there a good reason for this? Thanks!

I am using a Right Start/Singapore combo. DS has finished the 1B textbook and is working through the Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problems books along side the end of RS B (he's on lesson 76). He will do the first part of RS C along side Singapore 2A but I am not sure how long I will continue using RS. I like the higher levels of Singapore much better than I like the higher levels of RS.

Singapore is a good complement to RS because they both are based on the Asian way of teaching math. Additionally, one of Singapore's strengths is word problems, which happens to be a weakness of RS.

The advantage to using Horizons as a supplement to either RS or Singapore would be the spiral format. Both Singapore and RS are mastery/"soft spiral" programs where the student focuses on one topic at a time. RS does have the warmups and Singapore Stds. ed. does have the end-of-chapter reviews, but Horizons has a lot more review built-in to each lesson.

My oldest DD is using a combo of Horizons Pre-Algebra with Singapore Discovering Math 1.

We are doing rightstart B. I started to supplement with Singapore, but I found I really didn't need to because there was so much overlap. I am sorry I bought Singapore 1A/1B. Now I'm supplementing with Christian Light Education Math 106-110. There is more fact drill, more spiral, and more introduction of other topics than there is in RSB. This is not to say I don't like Singapore; I do!!! It just was too much like RS to be a good supplement for us.

Next year, I am planning to use Singapore and CLE, but I will always appreciate the excellent base Rightstart gave us and I will be using Rightstart with my second son next year.

Horizons seems to be a good supplement for Singapore or RS because it has a lot of drill and practice problems, and the approach is different.

I use Horizons as my main math program, and dh (with an engineering degree) and I are very pleased with it. I supplement with some of the Singapore materials (CWP, Mental Math, Extra Practice workbooks). This is basically the reverse of what it sounds like you are doing, and it works well.

We started supplementing RS B with Singapore 1A in the beginning of the year, but now I am using MEP. I like that MEP is free :) I also had trouble using all the Singapore books after getting used to having the RS scripted lessons. This was just a personal preference :)

• 2 weeks later...