Menu

SOTW Volume 3 activity book

mindygz

I just got it yesterday and I am not impressed with the quality of a few of the drawings (in particular the paper dolls, of which there are several sets). I am assuming they were drawn by children? My kids aren't particularly interested in coloring pictures that don't look that great to start out with. I'm disappointed, as we have really enjoyed the quality of the activity books for the first two volumes.

I haven't seen them, but that is disappointing. My girls don't like to color if the pages aren't well done. I find the SOTW1 and 2 pages well done.

You made me think of something else too. I ordered the "Who in the World Was . . ." series from Peacehill Press. Each book focuses on a person from history that usually isn't given a lot of attention. Anyway, I noticed in the early books (3 of them) the illustrator was the same, and (ahem) we don't like the illustrations. They're a little scary and bug-eyed and lots of wrinkles all over the place in faces and clothes that make the pictures distracting. The 4th book is of the same quality as in SOTW 1 and 2 AG's (it must be the same illustrator) and it is fabulous. I cannot believe how much an illustration sways my opinion of a book. The text in the books is interesting and engaging, it's just the crazy, distracting illustrations that get to me. :lol: Don't judge a book by its cover applies here, I think.

I understand you be disappointed by this. Do you use the other parts of the book? My kids never were big on coloring pages, quality or no. I've got a lot of use out of the questions, page numbers of other resources, and maps in particular. Hopefully you can still get a lot of use out of the guide and your disappoint will fade. :)

Edited by ThreeBlessings

I understand you be disappointed by this. Do you use the other parts of the book? My kids never were big on coloring pages, quality or no. I've got a lot of use out of the questions, page numbers of other resources, and maps in particular. Hopefully you can still get a lot of use out of the guide and you're disappoint will fade. :)

Considering the cost of the activity guide, not being able to use the drawings (crafts, coloring pages, maps, etc) sincerely makes me re-think purchasing it.

Considering the cost of the activity guide, not being able to use the drawings (crafts, coloring pages, maps, etc) sincerely makes me re-think purchasing it.

I had the same reaction to vol 3 after using SOTW1 and SOTW2. I have found, however, that the maps are valuable. The reading lists are very good and worth the price of the book for us. I also like how the AB gives page numbers for further reading in the KHE and UILE encyclopedias.

To clarify, most of the pictures are still of good quality. The maps still look good (which we use) and most of the coloring pages are still of good quality, though the style is different than SOTW 1 & 2. After a further look, it really does seem to be just the paper dolls that are the poor quality, so I think we will just skip them.

Yes, I agree that the activity book does offer a lot of value in spite of the poor quality of some of the pictures, but when everything prior (in SOTW 1 and 2 activity books) has been of such high quality, it is definitely disappointing. My artist daughter especially has enjoyed the paper dolls with their costumes in the past, so it will be a loss to not have those this next year, even with the other good resources in the activity book.