Menu

History the WTM way

Does anyone follow the WTM approach to history for the logic stage? I think I have researched every possible choice for 5th grade ancient history but can't settle on anything. The WTM approach seems so simple using the Usborne/Kingfisher as a spine. If you have followed this plan, what did not work for you? I am afraid that I will not get it done without a check off list of some type. I have also had a difficult time in the past scheduling read-alouds and/or assigned reading.

If anyone has a schedule for this with supplemental books scheduled, that would be great! Wishful thinking?

I am considering TOG as well but am afraid it would be too much.

Any advice?

I plan on using WTM history next year for 5th. At this point I have pretty much decided to use the plans in the 2nd edition WTM. They are slightly different (outlining directly from the KHE which I own, as opposed to making a list of facts from the encyclopedia and then outlining outside books.)

I plan to actually make my dd a schedule. It will tell her which steps to do each day of the week that I assign history. As of yet, I have not sat down to make it out, so I can't give details. But it will be simple. I will use the page #s from SOTW1 A.G. to tell her which encyclopedia pages she will work from. Then she will have a schedule which tells her to make an outline or do a narration or whatever each day.

For a schedule of what to read for extra reading, we will be using Classical House of Learning for literature (ancients logic stage) It is a free online reading schedule with assignments.

As for extra history reading, that will be assigned one of the history periods.

Yes, we started logic stage history in January. I also looked around at other options - including TOG. My daughter and son are also listening to SOTW 1 and I have a booklist from Latin-Centered Curriculum and TWTM. We're actually having a really good time with it so far. My kids haven't had much history at this point and I'm trying to be pretty laid back about it. My daughter thinks Kingfisher is a little dry, though (but, it's a great reference, IMO). Both kids are loving SOTW (even though it's meant for grammar stage). My daughter's notebooking with the outline and narrative summaries looks pretty incredible.

Oh, both kids are doing a timeline, too. :thumbup1:

I guess we're going to just keep going the way we are. I haven't found anything better without it becoming stressful or expensive. Even my son is enjoying the extra readings (we're reading Black Ships Before Troy right now).

Yes, we started logic stage history in January. I also looked around at other options - including TOG. My daughter and son are also listening to SOTW 1 and I have a booklist from Latin-Centered Curriculum and TWTM. We're actually having a really good time with it so far. My kids haven't had much history at this point and I'm trying to be pretty laid back about it. My daughter thinks Kingfisher is a little dry, though (but, it's a great reference, IMO). Both kids are loving SOTW (even though it's meant for grammar stage). My daughter's notebooking with the outline and narrative summaries looks pretty incredible.

Oh, both kids are doing a timeline, too. :thumbup1:

I guess we're going to just keep going the way we are. I haven't found anything better without it becoming stressful or expensive. Even my son is enjoying the extra readings (we're reading Black Ships Before Troy right now).

That sounds great. I am really drawn to the notebooking aspect of it. Do you schedule your library books in any particular way? Or just work down the list?

That sounds great. I am really drawn to the notebooking aspect of it. Do you schedule your library books in any particular way? Or just work down the list?

For the first two weeks, I told my daughter to just choose books that interested her (and that followed the historical topic). However, our library is horrible :glare: and the choices were slim. So, I came up with a book list to go along with SOTW and Kingfisher.

So, my daughter has been:

1. listening to a chapter of SOTW (3 times a week)

2. finding a page in Kingfisher related to the SOTW topic (once a week)

3. notebooking from Kingfisher (once a week)

4. reading from our booklist (we do this every day)

5. writing a narrative summary in her notebook on additional reading (once a week)

I'm not sure if what I'm doing is OK for logic stage, but she seems to like it.