Menu

BJU Reading

Jess4879

The TM has new vocabulary words at the beginning of each reading lesson (if it's a story). It's a difference sentence than used in a book and you go over it.

Personally, I feel contextual vocab is better than a separate program full of words used in a workbook. Perhaps using the words used in BJU and having them write the meaning and their own sentence using the word. Vocabulary is remembered by coming across words during reading on a regular basis. DD has done this and it's worked extremely well. She's a huge reader though.

The TM has new vocabulary words at the beginning of each reading lesson (if it's a story). It's a difference sentence than used in a book and you go over it.

Personally, I feel contextual vocab is better than a separate program full of words used in a workbook. Perhaps using the words used in BJU and having them write the meaning and their own sentence using the word. Vocabulary is remembered by coming across words during reading on a regular basis. DD has done this and it's worked extremely well. She's a huge reader though.

We have never used Worldly Wise. I didn't word that very well. Sorry. :) I am debating about using BJU Reading and was wondering if it had a strong vocab element on its own, or if I'd need to cover vocab in another way.

If you like Wordly Wise, maybe you could just do the online lessons and games that are free.

There are 5 words for each individual lesson (sometimes more than one lesson per story), so I would estimate that there are at least 500-600 vocabulary words in the third grade level.

That looks fun, because it's not a program. I wouldn't say it's "strong" in BJU reading, but it is there. If it were me...and it's not...:D I'd make more out of BJU Reading's vocab and do these online!

That looks fun, because it's not a program. I wouldn't say it's "strong" in BJU reading, but it is there. If it were me...and it's not...:D I'd make more out of BJU Reading's vocab and do these online!

Do you use BJU Reading? What do you like/dislike about it?

Do you use BJU Reading? What do you like/dislike about it?

I do. I didn't care for the early BJU Reading worktext with Mr. and Mrs. Short because I don't like that sort of learning, but I skipped that.

My dd LOVES the stories. I like it because there's all genres and including poetry.

I don't like multiple guess questions (they're not all this way) and the TM was cumbersome at first, but not enough to not use it. I only use some of the questions and did so at the end of the read, not per page, but I love that they label the questions as "critical", "interpretive", etc. I found my dd's weakness that way. So I'd only use the hilighted questions at the end of the read,then when I see her weakness, I'd concentrate on more of those.

I think it's an excellent, thorough program. Sometimes I skip the Skill Station Days just because I know she knows it.

For vocab, although it may not be as "fun", I'd use an index card with the new word and have her write it in a sentence and the meaning on it. Perhaps a picture if possible. It's worked so far. But as I mentioned she reads a lot, so she'll see words in BJU and wonder what they always meant from reading them somewhere else and it's sticks. I'm lucky with her that way. :tongue_smilie:

Let me add that I like a reading program where I don't necessarily have to read the book. And it has the answers!!!!! Some don't.

I do. I didn't care for the early BJU Reading worktext with Mr. and Mrs. Short because I don't like that sort of learning, but I skipped that.

My dd LOVES the stories. I like it because there's all genres and including poetry.

I don't like multiple guess questions (they're not all this way) and the TM was cumbersome at first, but not enough to not use it. I only use some of the questions and did so at the end of the read, not per page, but I love that they label the questions as "critical", "interpretive", etc. I found my dd's weakness that way. So I'd only use the hilighted questions at the end of the read,then when I see her weakness, I'd concentrate on more of those.

I think it's an excellent, thorough program. Sometimes I skip the Skill Station Days just because I know she knows it.

For vocab, although it may not be as "fun", I'd use an index card with the new word and have her write it in a sentence and the meaning on it. Perhaps a picture if possible. It's worked so far. But as I mentioned she reads a lot, so she'll see words in BJU and wonder what they always meant from reading them somewhere else and it's sticks. I'm lucky with her that way. :tongue_smilie:

Let me add that I like a reading program where I don't necessarily have to read the book. And it has the answers!!!!! Some don't.

Thanks for responding! It looks like it might work well for us. :001_smile: