Menu

Questions re Ordering AAS

I'm looking at purchasing AAS Level 1. As far as the interactive kit, I definitely want the letter tiles & magnets.

Question 1: How necessary is the CD ROM? Is it just to reinforce pronunciation? I really am not interested in my son sitting on the computer with this program unless it's necessary.

Question 2: Are the divider cards necessary? Really useful? I wasn't able to enlarge the pictures to see what is written on them.

Question 3: The description of the dividers refers to flashcards. Do these come in the student packet, do you make your own, or do I need to purchase these separately somewhere?

I hate spending money on stuff we won't use or don't really need. I'd much rather put that money toward other books.

Thanks in advance,

Kathleen

The CD-ROM is just for pronunciation so if you are comfortable with all of the phonogram pronunciations I would skip that. The flash cards do come with the student pack, and they are color coded (red-sound cards, blue-key cards, yellow- phonogram cards, green-word cards) so the dividers just keep them separated and help classify which cards your child has mastered, which ones need reviewed, and which ones they haven't learned yet. I wouldn't say the dividers are necessary if you can keep them organized on your own.

The cd rom is aimed at the parents. If you are certain of the pronunciation of the phonograms you won't need it. You need the letter tiles, flashcards and the dividers are useful. They are used to separate the cards that need reviewed, those that are mastered etc. The student packet contains all the cards for that level. The dividers and letter tiles are in the same pack I think.

Question 1: How necessary is the CD ROM? Is it just to reinforce pronunciation? I really am not interested in my son sitting on the computer with this program unless it's necessary.

I was confident in saying the sounds from the cards so I didn't need to use it.

Question 2: Are the divider cards necessary? Really useful? I wasn't able to enlarge the pictures to see what is written on them.

I consider them really useful. If you don't get their dividers, you'll want some kind of dividers for organizing the cards. This is how you customize the review for your child, dividing the cards into "review," "mastered" categories and so on. You'll use dividers for all of the levels, and these are laminated and color-coded.

Question 3: The description of the dividers refers to flashcards. Do these come in the student packet, do you make your own, or do I need to purchase these separately somewhere?

These come in the Student Packet that comes with each level set. (Each level has it's own cards, and you continue to review the previous sound, phonogram, and key cards--so you'll be adding to your cards each level).

I hate spending money on stuff we won't use or don't really need. I'd much rather put that money toward other books.

I hear ya! BTW, they are having a $50 gift certificate giveaway right now.

Merry :-)