Menu

Any Biology lab kits without animal dissections

The National Anti-Vivisection Society has lifelike bullfrog, fetal pig, cat, rat, shark, earthworm and other models available on a free loan basis. Call 1-800-888-NAVS (6287).

The NAVS also has a large selection of computer CDs and software (for Mac and IBM) available on a free loan basis. Some of the selections include: frogs, starfish, invertebrae animals, shark, fetal pig, fruit fly genetic matching and many others. Call 1-800-888-NAVS (6287).

More info at:

http://www.janewrdh.com/students/college.htm

My ds scored 800 on the Biology SAT II-- dissections unnecessary.

This inexpensive Prentice Hall Lab Manual contains 72 pre-printed investigative labs to choose from. i don't believe it contains answers as it's a student manual, but there are many labs to choose from that are so simple no answer key is needed....

http://www.amazon.com/Biology-Exploring-Life-Laboratory-Manual/dp/0130642665/ref=pd_sim_b_3

I purchased the teacher's edition which is more expensive but contains answers. I think I originally purchased mine from Pearson at a lower cost than amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/Prentice-Laboratory-Teachers-Biology-Exploring/dp/0130642673/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331148142&sr=1-3

I would think, without dissection, what you really need are prepared slides of various tissue samples, one called organisms, blood types, a frog growing kit (or other animal/insect), and seeds to plant and grow.

We did not direct in high school biology, but we looked at tissue samples, plant cells, and many other things. We did dissection in anatomy and physiology.

In my opinion and that of many others, dissections have no place in a first-year high school biology course. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that any curriculum that does more than touch on dissections is dated. The major objections are, firstly, that dissections have probably turned more kids off to biology than any other aspect of biology labs and, secondly, that they're a poor use of precious lab time.

When I took my first-year biology class in 9th grade 45 years ago, we focused on dissections. That wasn't because they're particularly good for learning about biology. It was because microscopes, even student-grade ones, were extremely expensive back then, while scalpels and preserved specimens were (and are) cheap. We had only a couple microscopes to be shared among the students, so studying microbiology was not practical.

Nowadays, a good first-year biology course focuses on things like the chemistry of life, life processes such as osmosis, photosynthesis, and meiosis/mitosis, ecology and populations, microbiology, cell structures, tissue types, and so on. If time is available, it's also a good idea to do survey labs that cover the domains/kingdoms of life, ideally at the cellular level.

In short, if you're doing a modern first-year biology class, you'll spend a ton of time using a microscope and almost no time using a scalpel.