Menu

Clever way to remember dividing!

mamakelly

My poor dd can't for the life of her remember to steps to division. I was talking to a friend yesterday and she said her dd struggles too. She told me about a mnemonic that has helped her daughter. Anyone ever heard of Daddy, Mommy, Brother, Sister, Rover?

Daddy=divide

Mommy=multiply

Sister=subtract

Brother=bring down

Rover (the dog)= repeat or remainder

Maybe I've been under a rock, but this is so cool! This is totally going to help her. :D So just in case anyone else hasn't ever heard of it, I thought I'd share

Here's a slide show that I'm going to show her to help her remember.

ETA: Oops, I put the sister and brother in the wrong spot!

Edited by mamakelly

I'm going to gently suggest that if your dd doesn't remember the "steps" to division, then perhaps she really doesn't understand division.

Explain what division is and why you're doing the "steps."

Perhaps watch a Khan Academy video?

I remember being taught all sorts of mnemonic tricks to math, and I was very good at remembering them. However, I never knew what I was actually doing and why.

Mnemonics are great, but just make sure she understand the steps. :)

My poor dd can't for the life of her remember to steps to division. I was talking to a friend yesterday and she said her dd struggles too. She told me about a mnemonic that has helped her daughter. Anyone ever heard of Daddy, Mommy, Brother, Sister, Rover?

Daddy=divide

Mommy=multiply

Brother=bring down

Sister=subtract

Rover (the dog)= repeat or remainder

Maybe I've been under a rock, but this is so cool! This is totally going to help her. :D So just in case anyone else hasn't ever heard of it, I thought I'd share

Here's a slide show that I'm going to show her to help her remember.

Oh, that's a good one. It's funny, I was talking to a friend about this the other night and she taught me "Dirty Monkeys Smell Bad." I showed dd this a.m. and it does help - at this point I think she just needs about a million more practice problems and she'll have it. ;)

Edit to add - the pp is right, you need sister before brother in your mnemonic. And ita with the other pp as well - in our case, dd does seem to understand division but just gets mixed up a little with all the steps. I am going to have her watch the Khan academy videos though, as they are so excellent. :)

Edited by MelissaMinNC

I'm going to gently suggest that if your dd doesn't remember the "steps" to division, then perhaps she really doesn't understand division.

I remember being taught all sorts of mnemonic tricks to math, and I was very good at remembering them. However, I never knew what I was actually doing and why.

:iagree:

My dds both learned the algorithm before they completely understood the concept. Practice, practice, practice w/ mom nearby to solidify steps.

She does understand the why, she just get's all flustered when we actually do it, and can't remember the order. I should look at the Khan Academy site though, I see it mentioned a lot.