Menu

Recommendations for cooking

kandty

My 11 year old Ds enjoys cooking. I would like for him to learn to cook. I am looking for recommendations for a program. I would like something that he can read and do on his own (I will be in the kitchen to supervise). Is there such a program?

Have you tried getting out the good ol Betty Crocker cookbook? My ds loves to cook - he watches Alton Brown's Good Eats on the Food Network (very very educational). I know that a lot of the older, more established cookbooks have a great section at the beginning that talks about the basics including the equipment and general cooking styles such as baking, braising, roasting, etc. Then he can pick a recipe and give it a try by following the instructions.

I have tried "kids" cookbooks but the recipes have always disappointed - vvveeerrrryyyy basic. We have a Rachel Ray one and an Emril Lagassi one.

Rachel Ray does have some really cool kids size kitchen utensils on her website (kids knives and stuff) and at one time Williams Sonoma had some adorable Star Wars spatulas, aprons, and stuff. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/bakeware/bakeware-star-wars-collection/

I don't know of an actual program (sorry).

IHTH :D

Have you tried getting out the good ol Betty Crocker cookbook? My ds loves to cook - he watches Alton Brown's Good Eats on the Food Network (very very educational). I know that a lot of the older, more established cookbooks have a great section at the beginning that talks about the basics including the equipment and general cooking styles such as baking, braising, roasting, etc. Then he can pick a recipe and give it a try by following the instructions.

I have tried "kids" cookbooks but the recipes have always disappointed - vvveeerrrryyyy basic. We have a Rachel Ray one and an Emril Lagassi one.

Rachel Ray does have some really cool kids size kitchen utensils on her website (kids knives and stuff) and at one time Williams Sonoma had some adorable Star Wars spatulas, aprons, and stuff. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/bakeware/bakeware-star-wars-collection/

I don't know of an actual program (sorry).

IHTH :D

He loves to get out our cookbooks and cook, but he struggles with knowing all the terms and needs help. This is why I thought a program might help. I have only found ones for girls and they are really girly. :lol:

When we get there, I'm just going to buy Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. We'll start at the beginning and work through the entire book. I had it when I was younger and used it until it fell apart. It's well written and gives you base recipes and then offers suggestions for variations.

I've started walking my seven year old through a few easy recipes, and I'll second the Mark Bittman suggestion. You might want to go through it yourself and pick out some easy ones yourself to start with, but as long as you are around for questions, I think he'll do just fine with it on his own.

I just hand my ds cook books and he's off. If he has questions, he asks. Trial and error is the best way to learn to cook.

:iagree: Trail and error will help him learn the best. Someone also mentioned the Betty Crocker Books. I would recommend the older versions as the newer versions are a "add this can plus that can" type of cooking. This will not allow him to really learn how to cook. The Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook is the one you want.

Edited by Mommyof3boys