Menu

one day a week academic programs: experiences? thoughts?

Does anyone have any advice on using a one day a week academic program? (ETA: I totally forgot to clarify that this is a private program and tuition-based. It is not connected to public school. It is like a one day a week classical Christian school. Sorry to be confusing.)

I am considering one of the options below for next year. Dd will be in 3rd grade. She is very intelligent and I think she needs more challenge. She is also an only child, which is one of the reasons I'm considering the program. The primary reason is that I think she would get a very solid, Biblical education and get exposed to some terrific teachers. I'm very pleased with most of the materials used by the program. I have observed the program for several hours and was very happy with what I saw. I fully realize that nothing is perfect and that we would lose some of our freedom. I'm sure there will be things that I don't agree with/wouldn't have chosen in the program.

1. One day a week classical Christian program for homeschoolers (History using VP and Mystery of History; Literature & Composition using IEW and Shurley; Apologia Science; Gospels study; Logos Latin; Art; and Shurley English). Other subjects are done on our own.

2. Use the same materials as #1 but on our own, with the possibility of enrolling in the above program one year later

Pros (in mostly random order) of the one day a week program:

1. Godly teachers who are passionate about their subjects.

2. Great opportunities for growth and learning.

3. Share learning and fun with classmates.

4. I share the responsibility with others.

5. Schedule and self-discipline; accountability (for both of us!).

6. Awesome classes.

7. We would get more accomplished

Cons:

1. Schedule – not flexible.

2. Grades, some pressure (mostly from herself).

3. Not individualized (some assignments may not be on her level but I think that most would be).

4. Loss of choice of most subjects (this could be a plus, as I won’t even have to think about making any changes)

5. Dd says she does not want to do it, but does not know much about it. She liked what she saw during our observation though.

6. Long day (about 7.5 hrs.)

Thank you!!

Edited by oneddmanybooks
clarity

We do a one-day-a-week co-op and it's been great for us. I like that the co-op takes a few subjects off my plate, but doesn't dominate our week. I do have to oversee homework for my youngest, but it's nice to have someone else do all of the planning, labs, and crafts ::shudder:: The teachers organize things that I wouldn't because they are different people with varied interests. I don't want my kids' education to be ONLY about my strengths.

I like that the teachers choose what they WANT to teach and that the parents remain on the premises all day either teaching a class or chatting in the lunch room. This gives us a good mix of fun and academic classes and keeps everyone involved. I don't care for the drop-off model. I teach a dance class and if a kid gives me trouble, I just ask if she'd prefer to go sit with her mother for the rest of class. :D It always works.

We are tired at the end of the day, and dinner is crockpot or take-out, but I contend that the best things in life wear me out :)

Will this school be reporting grades for you? When you say it's not individualized, do you still get to alter assignments as you see fit? That would be a concern for me.

We are in Classical Conversations and my kids didn't want to do it at first either - it's now their favorite day of the week! Even for the older ones who have a lot of work to do! I am still considered the teacher and I can alter assignments as I want/need to.

The only downfall for us is the lack of flexibilty as to schedules (My kids may miss Easter in Florida for the first time in their lives this year.)

But I would seriously consider a program like you describe - especially if I had only one child to school. (It might be harder to juggle different assignments during the week with more kids.)

... I do have to oversee homework for my youngest, but it's nice to have someone else do all of the planning, labs, and crafts ::shudder:: :iagree: !!! The teachers organize things that I wouldn't because they are different people with varied interests. I don't want my kids' education to be ONLY about my strengths. This is absolutely one of my big reasons for considering this!

I like that the teachers choose what they WANT to teach and that the parents remain on the premises all day either teaching a class or chatting in the lunch room. This gives us a good mix of fun and academic classes and keeps everyone involved. I don't care for the drop-off model. This is a drop-off (it's not a co-op) and in some ways I prefer the drop-off. Dd seems to do better with a drop-off, and it would kill my back to just hang around for hours and hours. I teach a dance class and if a kid gives me trouble, I just ask if she'd prefer to go sit with her mother for the rest of class. :D It always works. See, this wouldn't work so well with my dd. ;) I've always chuckled when I hear about "tomato staking." Dd wants to do most things with me, so I don't need to "stake" her. Of course this will change as she gets older, I'm sure.

We are tired at the end of the day, and dinner is crockpot or take-out, but I contend that the best things in life wear me out :)

Isn't that the truth!!!

Will this school be reporting grades for you? Dd will earn grades, but the grades will only be given to us. When you say it's not individualized, do you still get to alter assignments as you see fit? This is a good question and I will add it to my list. Judging from my observation, if a certain topic is covered in the history reading and I prefer dd not read about that, I can drop those pages (in the younger grades). But for the most part, I don't think that I can alter assignments. That would be a concern for me. I am a little concerned about it, but since dd learns quickly and reads around a 5th/6th grade level, I am hoping it will not be a problem.

We are in Classical Conversations and my kids didn't want to do it at first either - it's now their favorite day of the week! Even for the older ones who have a lot of work to do! I am still considered the teacher and I can alter assignments as I want/need to.

The only downfall for us is the lack of flexibilty as to schedules (My kids may miss Easter in Florida for the first time in their lives this year.)

But I would seriously consider a program like you describe - especially if I had only one child to school. (It might be harder to juggle different assignments during the week with more kids.)

Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it.