Menu

Using Don Potter lists for teaching reading

Those lists would work great to teach reading. The top one is the basis for Victory Drill Book program.

However, I want to mention that Don Potter has a special page dedicated to a program called Blend Phonics. One of his links is Stories with the Blend Phonics lists. The word lists come before each story, and the story is 100% decodable and A LOT easier than 100 easy lessons stories. My dd can read the short vowel lists and stories very well.

We got stuck on lessons 25 and 50 ish of 100 Easy Lessons. I moved backwards about 10 lessons and re-did those lessons. She then breezed through the 2nd time. We are now on lesson 70 and she's plugging along again. It seems to work to re-do lessons in order to move forward again.

I too started with 100EZ Lessons (as an afterschooler). My dd got to about Lesson 60. We switched to the Kirk-Hegge Drills that you link to. Dd's initial learning in 100EZ Lessons was definitely important, both because she learned lots of the alphabetic code from it, but also because it taught me a great deal about teaching reading, which I doubt would have been the case if I had started with just a list of words. These two programs helped turn a struggling non-reader into an excellent reader.

I found a way to be sure that my switching programs did not create gaps in learning: I kept track of my dd's knowledge of the alphabetic code. One neat tool I didn't find until later is the code chart available on the Phonics International website (there is a North American version of the code chart).

I love the Kirk-Hegge drills.

Kudos to Don Potter for providing a huge number of free phonics resources on his website.

One quick word of advice if you use the Kirk-Hegge drills: Some of the lists have words that rhyme if you read across the rows. I always avoid this with my tutoring students, because then they tend to look at the first letter and simply rhyme with the previous word. This defeats the purpose of teaching them to look at all the letters in words! So, with some of the K-H lists, students should read down the columns.

Thanks for the links-- the word lists look like fun-- I'm always looking for extra things for my 2 to read.

My DS is reading up a storm (reading stuff he "shouldn't" know how to do yet) and we're at about 80 in 100EZ.

DD (same age) didn't memorize/remember as easily, so I made flash cards of the sounds which we practiced in addition to the lessons (adding cards as we learned the sounds). For the "g" and "d" I had also had cards that had lists of words starting and ending with 'g' and 'd' sounds because we had trouble saying those 2 sounds in isolation. The sound review cards really helped. Then we hit a 'wall', so I started back at the beginning of the 100EZ book and we raced through the early lessons (a bunch at once, and then slower as the lessons got harder)-- that solved the problem and now she's comfortably moving forward (and eagerly trying to read books from the library--often with some success).