Menu

WWE...which level?

I am interested in using these for my rising 4th and 6th graders. I just am not sure which level would be appropriate for them. Neither of them have had a structured writing program. So, should I start with WWE 1 or would that be too easy? Is this a skill progression or more of an age progression?

Thanks for your advice!

It truly is skills based. There are mastery evaluations in the instructor's book that will help you place your child in the proper place. A good place to get a thorough understanding of the hows and whys of this program is SWB's lecture on teaching elementary writing. I gained a LOT from it, and if I were starting midstream with children I'd do the evaluations and place without regard to the numbers having any importance other than the order in which they are intended to be completed.

With a 4th and a 6th grade you could also consider to start with Writing With Skill. It is written for 5th grade and up and it feels to us a right place to start.

My dd is starting this right now, and she has had very little WWE before this (We did some of level 3 a while back.).

She's having no troubles--but she's a natural at summarizing.

I would start with two for the 4th grader and 3 for the 6th grader. The reason I say this is that WWE 1 is just right for a 1st and 2nd grade student, and developmentally (not just skill-wise) the 4th grader is probably able to do the exercises in level 2. The progression of the skills is gradual and so for the 6th grader, the same thing would apply, however, jumping from no writing program in to level 4 would be a lot. The dictations in 4 are very long, but 3 would give you a solid grounding in narration and dictation as well as prepare you for WWS. You may be able to skip 4 and go directly into WWS for the 6th grader after completing 3.