Menu

Is it just me?

Recently, there have been quite a few "I was bullied in school, so now I homeschool so my kids won't be" posts that I've seen on local boards/FB, presumably in response to the lastest round of school shootings.

The people who seem most dogmatic that they were bullied just so, so horribly are the ones who often seem the most cutting, catty, middle-school girlish when it comes to homeschool groups/boards. And, honestly, until these recent threads, I'd kind of assumed that they WERE the beautiful people in high school because that's what I'm reminded of when I was there.

I'm one of those people who basically slid by under the social radar in high school, with a few friends and mostly not being noticed unless someone needs help with homework. And now, in homeschool groups, in church, in really any group setting, I'm the same way-I have a few friends, but otherwise slide by unnoticed unless someone needs something done.

Recently, there have been quite a few "I was bullied in school, so now I homeschool so my kids won't be" posts that I've seen on local boards/FB, presumably in response to the lastest round of school shootings.

The people who seem most dogmatic that they were bullied just so, so horribly are the ones who often seem the most cutting, catty, middle-school girlish when it comes to homeschool groups/boards. And, honestly, until these recent threads, I'd kind of assumed that they WERE the beautiful people in high school because that's what I'm reminded of when I was there.

They may very well have been. The kids in the popular crowds at school have commonly nearly terrorized one another with the gossip and backbiting. Being really popular in high school is like living in a house of cards, it can come down with a little wind and many people in that situation are def. aware of it. Many kids that bully have been bullied in the past. One reason we took our bullied son out was that in addition to keeping him safe, I did not want him in time to decide that if you can't beat them, join them and become a bully himself. I have seen that happen to a number of kids.

I was very lucky to go to a high school that was pretty much free of the bully/gossip/rush to the top of a popularity heap mess. I went there for three and 1/2 years. The school I went to first for 1/2 a year, well the most popular kids there were not very happy people. This kids who seemed to have it easiest were in the middle...not constantly being picked on, not really picking on people and just sort of there, not really invested in becoming popular but not awkward enough to be painfully unpopular. I remember that the queen bee of our class was on drugs and pregnant by senior year and everyone "hated her". This was after being the top of the pecking order her first two years of school there (one of my closest friends stayed there and graduated).

Edited by kijipt