Menu

Using SOTW for Logic Age: The Bottom Line

Yes, I know this has been asked and picked over to death. I am just doing a quick recap to make sure I have it right.

Child reads SOTW, child answers AG questions, does maps, child reads corresponding Kingfisher/Usborne and outlines, child makes timeline, and reads more books on topics of interest at his level, child takes quiz.

That it in a nutshell?

That's more how we did it in grammar stage (but add written narrations.)

If your question is how does WTM have them do it, it is slightly different. Child will make a list of important facts from the encyclopedia. Child will read additional books from the library which go into more detail on one or more of the topics from the encyclopedia. Child will outline 5-6 paragraphs from another resource (library book of their choice.) Child will write 1 to 2 narrations and add to the appropriate tab of their notebook (famous people, or great books, etc..) Child makes timelines and does mapwork.

Granted, we haven't started logic stage yet, so I am still getting the hang of what we will do next year. But this is closer to how I understand it.

Well, if you read the 3rd edition of TWTM she finally gave up the idea of having students outling from Usborne or whatever. I cannot agree enough because it just does not work. Those books are already written in outline form and to try to outline them is an exercise in frustration.

Instead, the student does their outlining and narrations from their non-fiction reading. SOTW 1 and 2 are far too narrative to be outlined. You could have the child read SOTW and then do their outlining from their other non-fiction reading on the subject.

The encyclopedia is used to determine important facts and create the timeline. If you aren't going to follow TWTM totally in method, then maybe just use it to create the timeline.