Menu

Suggestions on Texas state History?

This looks interesting--just found the site, haven't used or looked at thoroughly.

When my son was in Montessori school in Texas, they had a "fake newspaper" that came out every couple of weeks, in which they read articles about Texas history as if it was happening currently. I tried to google it, but didn't come up with much, sorry.

I tend to do state history with as many field trips as possible. :)

The obvious would be Austin and the State Capital, and any historical (or just plain interesting) sites in the area, such as the French Legation Museum, the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center at UT, or the Bob Bullock State History Museum.

Or you could visit some of the official Texas Historic Landmarks. Many of them are just little things--there's one around the corner from my house; you could make it like a scavenger hunt, stopping at historical markers, taking pictures of the kidlets standing next to the markers, doing an internet search (or at the library) on those when you get.

We must'nt forget the Alamo, of course. :-)

This website is very useful. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online It probably has more information than you need :)

We took a lot of field trips--Austin, San Antonio, Houston. We live in Huntsville so there is a lot of TX history here as far as Sam Houston is concerned(as well as the Sam Houston Folk Festival--that is at the end of April/beginning of May).

We watched the Alamo w/John Wayne(It's not exactly accurate, but a good movie none the less) and another movie about Stephen F Austin. I can't remember the title.

There are so many books, movies, documentaries, hands-on field trips available when you study Texas.

Oh, don't forget Washington on the Brazos. There is also Barrington Farms in the same area that allows you to come and work on an early Texas farm.

We also read Old Yeller and Savage Sam. Fred Gipson is from Mason Co. TX. The library there has a statue of Old Yeller.