Menu

Keppra ?

littleWMN

Have anyone ever noticed an improvement in behavior in their child on Keppra?

Dd had a seizure last week -atonic- and is now in Keppra. She's more withdrawn than usual (she has a cognitive disability and is socially immature) and moody but is way less impulsive. Her attention span is much better too. I'm wondering if it's the Keppra or if she had some seizure activity going on at other times that contributed to all of that. She's highly ADHD and its controlled pretty well on Concerta. She has had two abnormal EEGs in the past that did not record actual seizures but abnormal spikes.

Just curious...

Hello,

My daughter has been on Keppra since she was 3, she is now 10. She was on another drug before that, so it's hard to know what her true personality would be. She has her own speed (slow) for doing things, from eating a meal to getting dressed. Keppra has been associated with rage and acting out. We have not had that problem, but our Neurologist also has her on B6. He said that the Keppra can deplete B6 and that may be a cause for the anger.

DD started Keppra in Sept...with the warning that it could make her more aggressive...but within a week of uping the dose a second time we went from child who attacked us violently daily to a child who melted to the floor crying. So yes it did change her behavior...one of the other side effects is tiredness so I could see a child being a little slower which could equal less impulsive.

I personally also think that in my dd's case that based on the location of the seizures she was having that stopping them has caused behavior to change, the behaviors before were a result of her brain having seizures.

Yes, Keppra can have behavioral side effects---good and bad. We initially were resistant to trying it as my daughter has bipolar in addition to the seizures but we ran out of options and the Keppra seems to be helping her moods as well as the seizures.

It can take a few weeks to get adjusted to a med but it might help the attention issues---maybe in itself or by helping control seizure activity. Hard to say for sure.