Menu

LOF Geometry question

Has anyone had their child use Life of Fred Geometry without doing LOF Advanced Algebra or any other Algebra II program? If so, how did it go?

More specifically, will LOF Geometry be a struggle for my daughter if she attempts it after only having done Saxon Algebra I and LOF Beginning Algebra?

We did LOF Geometry straight after LOF Beginning Algebra with no problems. We did it in this order because DS was very young and I thought he needed a break from Algebra. I was prepared to stop and switch to Advanced Algebra if we needed to but it was fine. DS is a visual learner and actually found Geometry easier than Algebra. He is working through Advanced Algebra now and has found a few areas easier to understand because he has already done Geometry. There is heaps of review in the Advanced Algebra book so it doesn't matter that it has been over a year since Beginning Algebra.

Thanks Carole. I was hoping to hear that. :)

We did LOF Geometry straight after LOF Beginning Algebra with no problems. We did it in this order because DS was very young and I thought he needed a break from Algebra. I was prepared to stop and switch to Advanced Algebra if we needed to but it was fine. DS is a visual learner and actually found Geometry easier than Algebra. He is working through Advanced Algebra now and has found a few areas easier to understand because he has already done Geometry. There is heaps of review in the Advanced Algebra book so it doesn't matter that it has been over a year since Beginning Algebra.

I second this. It has more to do with whether LOF is a good fit for your child than the sequencing. My oldest did LOF Geometry after doing Saxon Alg. 1 and excelled. Our next child did LOF all the way from fractions on up and did both Alg. volumes first, but has struggled with the course. She needs more hands on and extra practice opportunities. LOF Geometry does not have a home companion like most of the other high school classes.

LOF does seem to be a good fit for my dd so I think she will do well in LOF Geometry. It is good to hear that others have been successful in completing it after Saxon Algebra I.

I second this. It has more to do with whether LOF is a good fit for your child than the sequencing. My oldest did LOF Geometry after doing Saxon Alg. 1 and excelled. Our next child did LOF all the way from fractions on up and did both Alg. volumes first, but has struggled with the course. She needs more hands on and extra practice opportunities. LOF Geometry does not have a home companion like most of the other high school classes.

It definately can be done. My dd struggled a bit at the start but it was her first LOF course. She had not done advanced algebra but that didn't seem to be the problem. After she figured out the set up she did really well. Since your dd knows how Fred works she shouldn't have any problems.