Menu

Math Question

Okay, here is a weird math question....

DD has a tough time with testing. She's very bright, ahead, etc. We were REALLY surprised by some recent testing in which her Algebra score was much lower than anything else. However, she has successfully aced all her years of math, EASILY *(and by test standards, did "fine" on the math section in general).

We were going to have dd do Calculus I and II (Thinkwell with JHU 8-month schedule) this coming year and AP the BC test.

But I'm worried about SAT/ACT scores. We could take this coming year to work on prior math work some more.

Which would look better. A 16yo who has completed Calc I and II or one with higher SAT/ACT scores but doing Calc I and II at 16-17 instead?

She plans to take a couple courses at the Univ of Texas in '09 and ideally get into their Computer Science and Engineering program as a sophomore in 2010. And scholarships sure would be nice since we're definitely on the poor side and I'm disabled, unable to work much (often, not at all).

Part of me says that both options prove her ability, but I'm not sure which is the BETTER option.

Also, IF we were to choose to do another year, how on earth would we transcript it? If she were in public school, they'd just move her on because you don't hold back a kid with high A averages. So they wouldn't have to worry about a transcript. Part of me says I'm being silly considering this option because of that. She COULD take College Algebra then Trig or PreCalc or whatever they call it at the community college this year, but that too presents the transcript issue because why would a student take those things after taking a full high school math sequence through PreCalc?

I'm hoping some of this mess of a post made sense. We have some time to decide. I just want to make sure we make the RIGHT decision.

Anyone know what the right decision is?

I hate to say it, but the higher SAT scores. I would want her to have completed AP math..which is 1 yr of high school level calculus. But, without good SAT scores, she will not get in to UT Autsin or Texas A&M. The college will not at all look at what age she took calculus. They will not be impressed at all with a 16 yr old who took calculus if her SAT scores do not reflect it. The SATs only test on what goes thropugh basically Algebra 1 (but I heard a short while ago that they plan to eventually add in geometry content). Admissions offices never look at the birthdates and calculate the ages in which a child took something.

http://education.yahoo.com/college/facts/9414.html

I want to point out in particular....

Freshmen

• Admission 23,502 applied, 13,307 admitted, 7,417 enrolled
  • Test scores SAT verbal scores over 500 86%, SAT math scores over 500 92%, ACT scores over 18 96%, SAT verbal scores over 600 54%, SAT math scores over 600 68%, ACT scores over 24 74%, SAT verbal scores over 700 14%, SAT math scores over 700 25%, ACT scores over 30 23%

Okay, here is a weird math question....

DD has a tough time with testing. She's very bright, ahead, etc. We were REALLY surprised by some recent testing in which her Algebra score was much lower than anything else. However, she has successfully aced all her years of math, EASILY *(and by test standards, did "fine" on the math section in general).

May I ask on which test your daughter had a poor performance?

A student who has mastered algebra should be able to show that knowledge on an ACT test which is fairly straight forward on the math portion. Has she attempted this test?

Anyone leaning toward computer science/engineering needs excellent math skills. If your daughter's algebra skills are not up to par, then she should not attempt calculus for the sake of doing calc at age 15 or 16. In my opinion, it would be better to sharpen her algebra and trig so that she could focus on calculus (without constantly scratching her head over the algebra) at age 16 - 17.

But your post confuses me. You say she has excellent math skills. What curriculum did you use for Algebra II/Trig and Precalculus that she aced? Could the low test grade have been a fluke? A bad day?

Jane

You don't need any pre-calculus or calculus to do well on the SAT/ACT math portions, as both only test through early algebra trig.

If you want to review, Chalkdust's SAT Math review is the best, although not cheap. Continue with your plans for your dd to take Calculus this fall, and have her review the Chalkdust DVD's along with completing the math sections of the Official SAT prep book (the Blue one published by The College Board).

My son completed precalculus & calculus at a yonger age than your dd, and during 11th &12th grades took multivariable calculus & linear algebra at the local college.

SO, this is what you want to do:

2-3 months before the SAT work through the Chalkdust DVDs & Official SAT guide by College Board (The big fat blue one).

1-2 month before the SAT work through several different 10 Real SAT prep books, math sections and work on time.

2 weeks -1 month before the SAT, just review the DVDs.

HTH!

I'm sorry for not being clearer.

I didn't mean to suggest she did POORLY, she just didn't do as well. I guess the question really is would you aim for a 730-800 math SAT score or settle for a 650-730 score, for example? I'm assuming (correct me if you think I'm wrong) that if she moves onto Calc, she likely won't be working on improving the score considerably in the next 2 years. That is why the question.

I don't think it's a fluke as it was the case with her PLAN and PSAT and THEA tests. For some reason, it's just a little lower in that area for reasons I can't seem to root out. I talked to the counselor at the private school when she got her 9th grade PSAT and PLAN test scores back because of my concern. She didn't have a concern about what I pointed out. Of course, she was a 9th grader, not going into 11th. You'd think we'd iron some of this out in a year and a half!

She used Lial's for Algebra II and PreCalculus. She also did the Life of Fred series (for fun). She credits Fred for her doing so well with the geometry she really dislikes...hee hee

I KNOW every bright kid isn't a perfect score waiting to happen. But in terms of getting into an engineering program and getting scholarships, it seems that being closer would help.

Taz's mom (is it Carmen?)

I thought of that. Maybe part of math just needs to be SAT practice. She never feels great about parts of the math sections. She isn't a test taker, never has been. And I think I haven't had her practice enough.

I'm so thankful for this board. I know y'all have a variety of experiences beyond what I could imagine myself. And I know that will help me decide.....once I quit being a worry wart at least....

Ah...now I understand.

You see, Pamela, I am not convinced that all text books are created equal so when someone writes that their child has aced Algebra II, I really don't know what they have aced from a content perspective. But with Lials she should be fine.

Carmen's plan seems like overkill to me, but it should produce a high test score. (Ugh--I just hate spending all of this time and energy on testing, you know?) For the sake of scholarships, though, she does indeed want the high SAT/ACT in math.

Does UT have any of the summer science/engineering programs geared toward girls? This is another good way of plugging kids into the system and setting them up for scholarships.

Good luck to the two of you.

Jane (another Mom who worries)

She isn't a test taker, never has been. And I think I haven't had her practice enough.

Ya know, test taking is a skill set unto itself. She might just need to study test taking skills some more, including lots of practice tests complete with time limits, no bathroom breaks, etc. I have a son like this -- a math genius who is teaching himself calculus for grins, but never does as well on standardized tests as I know he could. I plan to put him through a "course" on test-taking before he does his first SAT/ACT type test, hoping to turn this around. You have my sympathies!

Karen