Menu

AAS for reading?

joysworld

My almost seven year old is a good reader, but he is a whole word reader. I swore I would never do whole word, but he would get too flustered sounding out words and started to hate reading. So, I just ended up telling him what a word was, and he would remember it from then on out. Well, now he's entering the world of more complicated words when reading, and he doesn't know how to decode them. I've heard great things about AAS, and I think it would work well for him, with it being very hands on. I just didn't know if it would word well with helping him learn to read better. Thoughts?

I think it could--anything they can spell, they can read, and AAS has you pay attention to the sounds and put words together. It's a complete phonics program. Maybe he has progressed far enough now that he wouldn't get so frustrated--or maybe since the focus is spelling he wouldn't resist so much. I started AAS when my kids were at the end of 3rd & 5th grades, and their reading levels went up 2 full grade levels the next year.

Merry

I am a huge fan of AAS. I'm not sure how it will affect reading, since my kids are usually pretty good readers when I begin AAS, but I would think it could help. I'm sure you've gone through many options already, but have you tried Teach Your Child 100 Easy Lessons? I don't follow the book word for word, as I think it's a bit tedious and boring that way. I just have the kids read me the sounds, words and stories. I use a simple sticker chart to track their progress and award a prize upon completion of the book (it really motivates them). Hope you find what works!

I think AAS would help at the very least with spelling and understanding the why of spelling.

A comment only based on my observations as a volunteer at my daughter's K class - I noticed that in her class there are a few advanced readers who are very poor spellers. When they have to write a sentence they will maybe write the first letter or two and then ask for help over and over. You would never guess they were good readers.

I think it could!

We started using AAS when my dc were in kindergarten & 2nd grade. They were behind on their reading level. We played catch up during the summer and they both went into this year as 1st & 3rd graders reading 2 levels HIGHER than last year! I was floored. This was WITHOUT a reading program per say to follow AAS.

My 1st grader is doing AAS2 and my 3rd grader is nearing the end of AAS3! They both enjoy it and even have confidence in reading now. No more crying over the thought of mom opening up a children's book that they have to read for bedtime. It's now a fight over who gets to read the story! :)

We now use Funnix as our reading program. We alternate our reading and spelling. Mon, Wed, & Friday's we do AAS. On Tue & Thursday's we do Funnix. The kids love this schedule. I plan to work into the summer with their reading and spelling.