Menu

Stow schedule?

hsmom23

I have been oogling at SL and HOD because I love the scheduled aspect but can't bring myself to spend the $ and really prefer the The Well-Trained Mind way of teaching history and science. A friend introduced me to Elemental Science and I love the way it schedules out the WTM recs and gives you a 5 day or 2 day option. has anyone seen or created a weekly schedule for SOTW and associated activities and books. I just wish I could buy a package that included the best supplemental books and a laid out schedule for SOTW. :tongue_smilie:

The title should have said SOTW, sorry!

Edited by hsmom23
Sorry the title should say SOTW instead of stow.

We just do one section per day (each chapter has 1-4 sections... usually 2-3 on average), 3 days per week. We read the section and narrate. On the last section of the chapter, we do mapwork. I don't usually do projects, but you can throw those in. We did some in SOTW1. We haven't done any in SOTW2 as of yet.

For the books, we just get whatever my library has. The choices are usually good, so I just figure if SWB is recommending it, it's worth getting from the library. :) If the library doesn't have it, I don't worry about it.

I am in the process of writing a complete schedule for SOTW1 for us to use for this upcoming school year. If you don't already have the activity guide that goes along with the text I would highly recommend that as it has lists of reading and literature books to go along with each chapter as well as review & narration questions/exercises, map work activities, and lots more.

I'm using Usborne Book of World History as well as Kingfisher History Encyclopedia as my main spines to correlate to the text and then I will just choose my favorite read-alouds/picture books from the activity guide's list for read-alouds. I am incredibly fortunate that we have a great public library system that has almost every book I could ever hope for, so I haven't purchased the read-alouds that we plan to read during the week. However, if I didn't have the luxury of such a great library there are a few books that I would absolutely purchase - check out DK Publishing series (Ancient Mesopotamia, Ancient Egypt, Ancient Bible Lands, Ancient Greece, Ancient China, Ancient Greece) as they have excellent pictures and lots of information, that can easily be broken up over the course of study.

Also, my daughter is a super hands-on learner, so I knew that I would need some type of activity to keep her interest and help her retain the information she has learned. This blog has an absolutely amazing lapbook that we will be using.

I've attached an example of my schedule so that you can get an idea of what our day/week looks like. (I hope at least - I'm on a Mac and so I had quite a time getting an attachment to work - if you can't open it let me know and I can send it to you via email.)

Hope that helps some!

Week 6 SOTW.doc.zip

Week 6 SOTW.doc.zip

Do you have the Renaissance and the Middle Ages combined in your schedule? Some of the lessons look like lessons we have done this year for the Middle Ages and some look like they are from next year.

SOTW Volume 2 includes the Renaissance. It ends around the year 1600. So, yes, my Middle Ages schedule includes the Renaissance. :)